**Legend-- Marie Lu

Release Date: November 29th, 2011
Genre:  Dystopia, Sci-fi
Publisher: Putnam
Pages: 336
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
Blurb: Fast paced, well woven, and completely engrossing. This book certainly lives up to its name.

Review: I know this book doesn't come out for five months, but as I didn't recieve this copy for review I don't feel bad about reviewing it super-early. Someone has to, right?

ANYWAY. I loved this book. From the very first page I was hooked. I love that this book is told from the alternating views of a criminal legend, and a "police" legend. It was fascinating to see how both were very similar people who had been drastically changed by their circumstances. Maybe Day would have been a famous guardsman if he had lived June's life, and vice versa.

What makes this story GREAT is those two characters. The plotline itself is rather generic. Dystopian government, at war with some other country, some people live lives of luxury while others die of plague. Ya know. That story. But seen through the eyes of our narrators what seems** like a generic story becomes something fresh and wonderful and fascinating. I couldn't take my eyes off this book. Hence, the Squeaky rating.

So even though this book doesn't come out until November, you should pre-order it now. It's THAT good.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

**I feel bad when I say this story seems generic. After all, since all of these dystopias are coming out at relatively the same time you know that Marie didn't read any of the other current popular dystopias before she wrote this one, there just isn't time! If this book had come out two years ago then it would have been the "original" one. Please note that I am not trying to offend anyone by calling it generic. I hope y'all can tell how much I loved this book.

12 comments:

  1. We think your "generic" comment is fair -- as you said, there are a ton of dystopian books coming out now, and they all have a "samey samey" feel if you read them too close together. That's not any individual author's fault.

    Anyway, great review, and yes, thank you for putting it out early! We've been wondering about this one ever since we read the opening pages through the publisher's online sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I read your comment about the generic plot and I agree with you. Most of the dystopia are very similar, but in this case it isn't the author's mistake. I had the same feeling with the last dystopia I read, so I'm taking a break for a couple of days...

    Still, I can't wait to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has been on my wish list for a while. So I'm glad to read this early review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound really awesome. Lucky you, getting to read it early!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do remind us about this book in November...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you liked it, Enna! YAY!
    Really excited to pick up my copy now. You usually mention something about content in your reviews and you didn't here, so do I take it that there wasn't anything that overt? I'm trying to "outsource" my reading/reviewing to some of my middle schoolers and I just want to make sure before I hand this over :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about dystopian plots seeming generic- I have been thinking that myself. I wonder if this genre is what is going to explode next (following the vampire, angel, werewolf, etc trend).

    Thanks for sharing this book- I have been seeing the cover everywhere and I was curious what it was about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one has been getting some great early reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read this book so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm currently reading this -- and definitely agree with your review!

    It's true that a lot of dystopians begin to read the same after a while, but I do think LEGEND stands out due to its characters.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. It sounds fantastic. Great review. I've been on the fence about this one. I think it's the cover that turns me off.

    Speaking of, have you seen the new super cool Aussie cover?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I know what you mean about certain genres being a bit generic... I haven't really been terribly interested in this one, but maybe I'll have to give it a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails