Blood Wounds-- Susan Beth Pfeffer

Release Date: September 12th, 2011
Genre:  Contemporary, Thriller
Publisher: Harcourt
Pages: 256
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
Willa is lucky: She has a loving blended family that gets along. Not all families are so fortunate. But when a bloody crime takes place hundreds of miles away, it has an explosive effect on Willa’s peaceful life. The estranged father she hardly remembers has murdered his new wife and children, and is headed east toward Willa and her mother.

Under police protection, Willa discovers that her mother has harbored secrets that are threatening to boil over. Has everything Willa believed about herself been a lie? As Willa sets out to untangle the mysteries of her past, she keeps her own secret—one that has the potential to tear her family apart.

Blurb: Haunting and heartrending, Blood Wounds will keep you thinking long after you turn the last page.

Review: Reading this book I was reminded of why I don't read contemporary fiction. I just don't understand it. That's why I gave this book 2.5 stars, because I had no idea what to give it and figured smack in the middle made sense.

The book was a little disappointing in that the main conflict is solved very quickly, and the rest of the book is all about the characters and their relationships and emotions. This book is certainly emotional. So many different thoughts and feelings flying here and there. Lies uncovered, relationships found and lost, and so many SAD people. So depressing. My mom read it as well, and we talked about it for a while after reading it. There was plenty to discuss.

However, one thing we both agreed on is... well... there didn't really seem to be a point. I finished the book and thought "Okay. What was I supposed to take away from that?"

THAT is almost 100% the reason I don't read contemporary fiction. In fantasy, I am more than happy to finish a book and just say "that was a good story." But for some reason, contemporary fiction makes me feel like there needs to be some kind of message in the book. Some purpose in me reading it. (I know not everyone feels this way. That's my issue) But I couldn't find the purpose for this one.

The book ended after showing us how messed up all these people are, and by the end they still seemed pretty messed up. Yes, there was a bit of healing going on, but not enough to make me feel hopeful.

All in all I kind of felt like this was a non-story because all it did was make me feel sad. I didn't feel sad for anyone or about anything. I just felt sad. The sadness didn't make me want to tell my family I love them, or call up forgotten friends, it just depressed me. Kind of like the last two books of Pfeffer's Life as We Knew It series made me feel.

However, like I said, I am no one to judge contemporary fiction. So... take this review with a grain of salt.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

5 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I feel about contemporary fiction! You put it into words very well. I also felt the same way about most of the short stories I read in college. I had to escape into Harry Potter as quickly as I could to save my mental health. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just had that problem with a book I tried to read recently. Really depressing contemporary novels are not fun to read. Though I have found a few that I've liked recently. Like Sean Griswold's by Lindsey Leavitt. Deals with a serious issue without being too depressing and mopey.

    I also felt the third book of her 'Life As We Knew' it trilogy was way depressing. I was angry at the main character for days afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you completely about this book- a whole lotta meh, but I do quite disagree with you about Contemporary fiction. Perhaps we should have a conversation about this soon... :P I'd love to hear what you've read & see if I can't recommend you some genuinely good titles. Sadly, IMO, this one doesn't even come close. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's odd because I found it uplifting at the end. Willa became more assertive. Her mom too. And the author did great explaining why Willa never complained at the beginning. Little events like a fight with a step-sister in the pre-school years have ramifications.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! Like I said, I really just don't get contemporary fiction. But I'm glad someone likes this book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails