*City of Bones-- Cassandra Clare

Release Date: March 27, 2007
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Pages: 485
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Rating:
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know....
Review: I really enjoyed this book. I stayed up until 2am reading it. The ending had me on the edge of my seat! I love it!

The reason why it only got 3.5 flowers, is because the beginning was a little boring. It seemed like every other urban fantasy/paranormal I've read so far. And I was able to guess almost every single "surprise/reveal." Does anyone else agree?

I've heard from more than one person, that you "read the first book in this series so that you can read the next two" which is why I was so fast to get City of Ashes. I can tell this series has A LOT of potential, and I'm excited to get to it.

Thanks for the recommendation, peeps!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2010

4 comments:

  1. I bought the whole Mortal Instruments series a few months ago and I still haven't read them! You're reminding me that I really need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the first urban fantasy/paranormal books I ever read so no, I wasn't comparing it to books of the same genre.
    I'm excited for you to read the next two! Have you read Clockwork Angel yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no. I'm waiting until I read these first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thumbs up for finally, getting a headstart on the Mortal Instruments. i got the same vibe that you probably had during the first few chapters but really once you get past it, it does get better and better (all the way to the third book i should say!)
    i'm still reading the first book of the prequel (infernal devices) and i'm thinking--hoping that there might be a pattern in the author's story development.. happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails