Guest Post: Why I love birthdays


Today Squeaky Books welcomes Heather from Grab Shell Dude. She writes about why she loves birthdays.

Why I Love Birthdays

A blog post that is not as clichéd sounding as the title makes it out to be. Though, on second though, maybe it is clichéd. Oh well. What can you do?

When someone asks me what my favorite holiday is, I want to say birthdays. Not necessarily my birthday. Just birthdays in general. So my favorite holiday occurs 365 days of the year and sometimes 366. Hah. Beat that.

My last birthday, I ended up being home alone in my apartment. Things happen: your husband has to work; your family is busy and live two hours away; none of your friends that live nearby know it is your birthday or if they do, have no clue you are home alone. Not that I mind being home alone. But that isn't what birthdays are all about.

Birthdays are about spending time with people. Birthdays are about giving. Birthdays are about celebration. Birthdays are pleasantly non-commercialized. And since birthdays are about the individual, and all individuals are different, every birthday is unique.

My husband and I have a goal to call all my brother, sisters, parents, in-laws, nieces and nephews on their birthday. We sing to them. And most of all, we tell them happy birthday.

Because, when it comes down to it, that is what I love most about birthdays: just saying those words. Happy Birthday. Those words mean: I care about you. You are special. You are awesome. I wish you the most in life. I am so glad I know you. And so much more.Those words celebrate the individual and let them know they mean something in this great big world.

Conclusion: Birthdays rock hard core.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, Heather always says things just right! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when Heather mixes philosophical argument and slang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mix philosophical argument and slang? Never knew I did that.

    Though this has me feeling guilty because I missed THREE birthdays recently. THREE! Though two of those were twins, so it really is only two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it just so happens that those twins are MY twins and I worked awfully hard to get them here. (I have the stretch marks to prove it) And both of them count! :) So, my dear Sister-in-law you are in serious trouble!!! Call me today for my birthday and I will forgive you. Otherwise, all is lost between you and I (unless you let me borrow your Shannon Hale Graphic novels). Of course, I don't even know when your birthday is so you are doing much better than I am!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails