The Ask and the Answer-- Patrick Ness

Release Date: September 7, 2009
Genre: Futuristic, sci-fi, dystopian
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Pages: 528
Series: Chaos Walking #2 (Review of first book here)
Rating:
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men...Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode..."
Review: NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW. These books are... strange. The idea is so completely original and unique, but the delivery is very long winded. I reached a point where I felt like the author was just repeating himself. I kept thinking MOVE ON ALREADY! MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN! There were so many mini-climaxes that I wanted to pull my hair out! And when did the main climax finally happen? THE END. Total cliffhanger. I saw the final book out already at Borders on Saturday, though. So at least someone like me doesn't have to wait long.

I don't know how other people did it. Waiting a year? Holly Cupala mentioned on Twitter that she stopped after the first one because of the cliffhanger ending. I can totally understand. The author walks a fine line with such dramatic endings to his books. It's very easy to just give up on the series.

With that said, I do still like these books. I'll be buying the third one when it comes out in paperback (they all have to match!), but until then I'm just gonna get it from the library. I recommend other readers do the same. Test drive the series before committing to purchasing them. Good series to borrow.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you say about test driving the books. I actually really like this series and can't wait for the third book --- but I agree that the books are a little weird.

    But getting back to what you said about test driving --- that's why I rely on the library so much. It's a try before I buy -- especially since I don't have a lot of $$! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails