**The Tomorrow Code-- Brian Falkner

Release Date: July 18th, 2008
Genre:  Sci-fi, mystery, romance
Publisher: Random House
Pages: 349
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Tane and Rebecca aren’t sure what to make of it—a sequence of 1s and 0s, the message looks like nothing more than a random collection of alternating digits. Working to decode it, however, they discover that the message contains lottery numbers . . . lottery numbers that win the next random draw! More messages follow, and slowly it becomes clear—the messages are being sent from Tane and Rebecca’s future. Something there has gone horribly wrong, and it’s up to them to prevent it from happening. The very survival of the human race may be at stake!

Review: I recently reviewed Falkner's latest book Brain Jack and I've come to the conclusion that if you want a mind-bending thriller about really smart kids, Falkner is your guy.

The Tomorrow Code was quite a bit easier to follow than Brain Jack because not all of the characters were smart and so things were toned down a bit. I mean... not that I'm dumb... but... it was confusing. Yeah.

But that isn't to say there wasn't a lot of "smart" talk. Lots of paradoxes and mobius strips and binary code, all culminating into an action packed thriller! The characters were lovable, the story was awesomely original and freaky, and the writing was really good. It was also interesting to have the story set in New Zealand.

I'm a little torn about the ending. It's a pretty big twist and I'm still trying to figure out whether I think it's brilliant, or a cop-out.

I think this book would be great to read with a kid 10+. They'd really enjoy it, and probably learn from it too. I felt smarter after reading it, even though most of the stuff in it isn't entirely feasible.

Great book! Read it all in one day.

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. This book seems like something I'd like. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good one...added to the TBR pile. Sounds like the sort of thing I really enjoy.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read Brain Jack and I thought it was awesome (crazy computer hacking and all), so I'll definitely have to read this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this recommendation! The book sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails