*Clarity-- Kim Harrington

Release Date: March 1st, 2011
Genre:  Mystery, Paranormal, Romance
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Pages: 256
Rating:  
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?

This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.

Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.

And a curse.

When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?
Review: This was a really enjoyable read. I wasn't expecting how mysterious would be. It reads very much like a good Nancy Drew or a "grown up" Scooby Doo (I just watched this with my little bros. It's on my brain) except with a very interesting paranormal twist.

You're told the ending at the beginning, but no names are used so you don't know who is who. This was really cool because I spent the whole book wondering: "is it him? Oooh! Or maybe her. Yeah. It's totally her. No wait! It could be him!" It made the ready experience very interactive and fun.

I also really liked Clare herself. I thought her ideas were interesting, and her family dynamic was really cool. They whole "psychic" thing wasn't overplayed, it was just part of her life.

My only complaint was the mild swearing and the sexuality. Clare's brother is very sexually active. And though the details are extremely vague, it was still mentioned a few times.

All in all, I really liked this book. I read it all in one day. A good, short read.

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

6 comments:

  1. Nice review. I can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My only complaint was the mild swearing and the sexuality. Clare's brother is very sexually active. And though the details are extremely vague, it was still mentioned a few times."

    Um. Have you never walked the halls of a high school? Kim Harrington didn't write NEAR as bad cussing as that of which you hear in between classes of a public high school. And from what I can remember... the only word she used was "damn."

    And Clare's brother was, in fact, very sexually active. That's how college boys are. That's life. This is 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I REALLY want to read this one even more now :) Great review.

    And I appreciate the heads up about the swearing and sexual content. Not that it deters me from reading it, but I like to know what to expect instead of being totally blindsided. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brent, I understand. I know a lot of people feel this way. However, I am a very conservative blogger. It's part of my schtick.

    I have walked the halls of a high school, for three years, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

    And I did say that the swearing was MILD. If there is swearing in a book I ALWAYS mention it. ALWAYS.

    And in my life, college boys are NOT sexually active. In fact, having sexual relations before marriage at my school would have you kicked out. *shrug* It's just the way my life is.

    I'm sorry if I've offended you, but please note that I LIKED THE BOOK. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the sound of this one. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book last week and I really liked it, too. It was a fun mystery.

    I actually didn't like Clare's brother much because he was a womanizer and his whole, "I'm 18 and male, of course I'm going to sleep with every female I come across," was rather pathetic in my opinion. But I'm rather conservative myself.

    Overall, I liked the book a lot. And I also was guessing through the whole book on who It was at the end.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails