The Iron King-- Julie Kagawa

Release Date: February 1st, 2010
Pages: 363
Genre: Fantasy, Faerie
Rating:

Goodreads Page:
Click here
Summary:
Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart
Review: I was kind of disappointed when I read this book. I guess from everything I'd read about it I was expecting something amazing. But it was just... meh. Judging from GoodReads, I'm not the only person who thought so. I think Oberon and Titania are kind of overdone, personally.

In addition, the swearing really bothered me. Most of it was completely uncescesary. The language bumped this book up to the equivalent of a PG-13 movie (because it contained one F-bomb and many other *-bombs).

Other than that, It just read like any other faery story to me. So if faery/fairy stories are your thing, you'll probably really like it. When it did get to the truly-original part of the story, the part I really wanted to know about, it went super fast! I'm looking forward to the sequel just in the hope that I'll get to know more about that part. And I think we will.

So here's hoping for good things!

7 comments:

  1. I'm currently reading this book! I don't have high hopes for it though, I'm not expecting something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you'll probably like it more than me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing but good things about this book, but I'm glad for your review. I don't want to set my hopes very high. Anyways, I wanted to let you know that I have an award for you at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree 100% with your review except for the number of flowers, two would be enough, so sad to have spent my money on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. I had a hard time deciding how many flowers to give it. I eventually went with 3.5 because it wasn't bad, per say. It just wasn't... awesome? I guess.

    But at least it's a cheaper book. Only $10, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I guess it wasn't that expensive, but still, when a book has that much publicity and great reviews you feel cheated and now I wonder what can I do with it, maybe as support for the coffee table, I'm sorry but for me fell short, maybe it's not that bad but with all the hype...
    BTW I use Anonymous because I don't have any of the options :s
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like Fae books. I was really disappointed in this book because of the language in it. I read young adult hoping it will be clean. This was a big disappointment for me. Iam not going to finish it.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails