**Nevermore-- Kelly Creagh

Release Date: August 31st, 2010
Genre:  Romance, Paranormal, Supernatural, Literary
Publisher: Atheneum
Pages: 543
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game.

Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.

Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.

As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind.

Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.

His life depends on it.
Review: I remember that when I first saw this book I immediately filed it away into the "books I'll never, ever read" portion of my brain. The cover completely turned me off. Both of the characters depicted on the cover seemed to epitomize what I don't like about YA literature. But I found a copy to borrow, and so I decided to give it a go.

I adored this book.

Just goes to show you that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. This book is so... literary! And yet it has a great story. It took me a long time to finish (it's a big book!) but I enjoyed every moment of it. I love how things that seemed little and insignificant all had some kind of meaning. But if you missed that meaning you still had a great story.

Granted, the ending was a little confusing. And very sad. But beautiful! It made me SO excited for the next book.

I think my only complaint would be that the book moved a little slowly. And then when we finally reached the climax things went CRAZY fast and weren't fully explained. You had to piece things together. Which wasn't bad, I guess, but kind of annoying.

Anyway, this book is pretty clean (only a few nasty/crude high-schooler remarks, but very little profanity) and really good. If you have the brain power to read a 550 page book, read this one!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

10 comments:

  1. I SO want to read this book--Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you read this book and loved it, it was one of my top five books for 2010! Hate that the sequel does come out until next year....
    NC
    TRuly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely do not like the cover and when I read it will have to rid my mind of it's image, but I've heard such wonderful things about this and will definitely have to read it! Thanks for the review (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover totally turned me off as well....maybe I'll give it a try! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to read this for so long. It sounds really good! Sadly, my library doesn't have it, so it looks like I'm just going to have to buy it and hope it's actually as good as it sounds. Though, judging by your review I don't have much to worry about. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when a book kinda surprises you like that :) It always make an impact on me when I expect something and get something else entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I love when a book that you think won't work turns around and smacks you with its awesomeness. The cover may not be the greatest but the story sounds fantastic. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay, you've convinced me. I'll have to read it now. though it'll probably have to wait until I have a day off and can dedicate my undivided attention. and still get to bed on time

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt exactly the same way! This past year I have been taping a paper over the front of the book covers that I hate. If the girl on the cover looks like a brat, I will never like her. If a guy looks like a thug, I'm not going to give him a break. I wish authors would quit putting pictures of the characters on the books. That is what my imagination is for, and I can ALWAYS come up with the right look for their characters in my mind. Give us credit!!! :) (LOVED Nevermore and HATED the cover)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GIRL, preach it.
    Gah this book was amazing. So incredibly ecstatic that you liked it as well. Only that nail-biting-induced ending was a bit of a shocker. Cannot wait for January 2012. If there's one book that I'm waiting on more than anything else, it's the sequel!

    Thank you for such a fabulous review :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails