Haven--Kristi Cook

Release Date: February 22nd, 2011
Genre:  Romance, Paranormal
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 416
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
One month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future.

But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven.

Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first
Review: *sigh* Another paranormal romance. From the summary I was expecting this book to be different. After all, there aren't a whole lot of books that can pull off the "super power" idea. And this book wasn't bad. My Internet went out Friday night, so I read the whole thing in one sitting. The writing was good, the story was interesting, the characters were fun.

It didn't move particularly fast. Someone on GoodReads (I forget who) commented that after the "big reveal" things were boring. I wouldn't say that it was boring but it did get a little mundane until the climax.

But the biggest problem?

It just wasn't very original. You could easily see half-a-dozen already published books and in Haven. I don't mean to be mean. I just mean that this book fits perfectly into the "paranormal romance" mold. In fact, it's extremely similar to a certain book. But I can't tell you what book it is for fear of giving it away.

Therefore, if you're the kind of person who LOVES all of the paranormal releases out so far and you just CAN'T GET ENOUGH, then Haven is a great book for you. Some people have said that this book "stands above" other PRs, but I thought it was just one in the crowd. So if you've had your fill of paranormal romance, I'd say skip it.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer! I've seen this book around, but I'm getting really tired of PN... I keep trying it, thinking that I actually do like the genre, and then I read one and am like, oh ya... I don't. ;)

    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you.My review basically said the same thing. I even compared to a certain book but would not give out the name.lol. It just was the same ol thing. Its neat to see someone who thought my exact thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is my review. Not that you have to check it out or comment, its just really similar its funny http://awesomesaucebookclub.blogspot.com/2011/02/haven-early-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like one I can wait awhile to read. Thanks for the honest review.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails