Generation Dead-- Daniel Waters

Release Date: May 8th, 2008
Genre:  Zombies, Paranormal, Romance
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 392
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them.
The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.

When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?
Review: This book was very original! I've read quite a few zombie books, but never one where the zombies are actually integrated into society. That was this book's primary focus. Unfortunately, being me, I was expecting some kind of slash, boom, bash! action. But alas, it is not so.

Generation Dead is all about the political and social repercussions of having the undead in your society. What rights should they have? What can they participate in? Can they date living girls/boys? An interesting idea, but not quite enough to last for 400 pages. I kept waiting for some big reveal that would have the characters having to do something, rather than just talk.

And there were times where the plot fluctuated, but they were little ripples. And when we finally reached the "climactic moment" I groaned. It's something you see coming from page 1, or at least, I did.

So if you've been wanting to try out zombies, but aren't really into the whole "gore and horror" thing, then this book is for you. It reads just like a contemporary YA novel, but with a little splash of the undead. Plus, it's only $6.80 for the hardcover on Amazon (see above link). A pretty good price, I think.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one as well. Plus I think that's one of my favourite covers ever. It's so fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought reading books like this will be boring or something, but when I started reading and fall in the characters, I realized that I’m starting not just to like it but I fell in love with the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails