The Enemy-- Charlie Higson

Release Date: May 18th, 2010
Genre:  Horror, "zombies"
Publisher: (Disney) Hyperion
Pages: 448
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
In the wake of a devastating disease, everyone older than sixteen is either dead or a decomposing, brainless creature with a ravenous appetite for flesh. Teens have barricaded themselves in buildings throughout London and venture outside only when they need to scavenge for food. The group of kids living at Waitrose supermarket is beginning to run out of options. When a mysterious traveler arrives and offers them safe haven at Buckingham Palace, they begin a harrowing journey across London. But their fight is far from over— the threat from within the palace is as real as the one outside it.
Review: What says Christmas/Holidays more than Zombies? Nothing I can think of. *wink*

I've always been a big zombie fan because of my super-dull inner eye. The horror stuff doesn't bother me, but I love the tense feeling. If YOU are bothered by gory stuff, then this book probably isn't for you.

This book isn't one of the best zombie books I've read, but it wasn't bad. Entertaining, certainly. And almost completely clean in terms of profanity. However, there were people just dropping like flies! It was very Mockingjay-esque in that I felt like it was "Oh! Who's this new charact-... oh. Nevermind. They're dead."

Another thing was that this really wasn't a zombie book. For one thing, the "zombies" aren't dead. They're just diseased people. And they actually aren't in the book very much. They're in the first half CONSTANTLY. You got zombies (called "grown-ups" in the novel) jumping out of alleys, chasing down and stealing children, and other nifty stuff. But about mid-way through everything just turns to talking. Buncha kids just talking to each other. Arguing with each other. Fighting each other. Killing each other. I thought that was the ZOMBIES job?!

So while this is quite a good story, and I really enjoyed it, it didn't really sate my appetite for ZOMBIES. Much more of an interpersonal book than an action/adventure story.

The sequel, called The Dead, comes out June 14, 2011. I'm going to try and get it from a library, since The Enemy didn't suite my fancy enough to buy it. But I'll certainly still read it. And this time I'll go in with better expectations.

Do y'all like zombie books? Does the gore/horror bother you?

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2010

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you read it ;)
    I pretty much agree with you, The Enemy was good, but not good *enough*.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails