**Across the Universe-- Beth Revis

Release Date: January 11th, 2011
Genre:  Romance, Mystery, Sci-fi
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Pages: 400
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone--one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship--tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
Review: Holy crap.

Honestly, it's been a week since I finished this book and I still have trouble finding the words to describe it. I have never read anything like this. This book is one of the most unique, captivating book I have ever read. I could not put it down!

Every page held a new twist and a new turn. The characters had so much life in them I wanted to reach through the pages and hug them! The villain was villainous. The good guys were awesome. The heartaches put me near tears. (Well, I was actually near tears through the whole book because I just thought Amy's situation was so sad! Ah! I haven't felt for a character that much in a long time)

And the little details were amazing! I mean, think about it, what would happen if there was a pocket of humanity separated from the general populace for centuries? Have you ever thought about that before? I know I haven't. But Revis clearly knew every single facet of her world, down to how the language might have changed!

WARNING!! There is a lot of sexual stuff in this book. It's supposed to be disturbing to the main character, and it certainly achieves that goal. It made me feel pretty uncomfortable, just like it was supposed to. It's not crass in any way. You just have people acting like animals in heat. Because of this I would say that this book should probably be read by those 15 and older. But if you've got a mature 12-14 year old then it should be fine.

I stayed up until about 2am reading this. And when I finished I simply closed the book and said "Holy crap."

And I still feel that way.

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2010

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

16 comments:

  1. Okay, great review! You just made me even more excited to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this book it's not even funny. :) I loved your review and now I want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CANNOT wait til this comes out. Thanks for the awesome review! EXCITEMENT:)
    -Danna
    http://friendlyreaderohyeah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy crap I love your review!!! XD Definitely cannot wait to read this one. The cover is so gorgeous too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED this book so much! I was completely blow away by it as well. The Season scenes cracked me up! I didn't think it was uncomfortable at all. Huh, maybe I should have, but I literally laughed out loud! Great review...well deserved 5 stars.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like others have said, after reading your review I want to read this one even more badly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds AWESOME. Can't wait to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked it! I also loved it and can't wait for everyone else to read it. I'm really excited for the sequel too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I really liked this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really loved this book - I bought it based on your review. But I blazed through it so quickly that I didn't have time to feel anything other than "what's going to happen next???" I need to reread it so I can try to feel some of the emotion you were able to feel. I didn't find the villain truly villainous. Mostly just someone who had to pick a plan out of a list of really crappy plans. Granted, he probably picked the plan at the bottom of the barrel, but I don't really think he was truly evil, like there wasn't really malicious intent on his part. He was extremely misguided, to say the least, but trying to do the best he could given the circumstances. Definitely a page-turner, and a very unique concept. Lots of twists.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, The sexual content wan`ts only Creepy for Amy...But for the readers as well..Well not creepy more like SHOCKING & AWKWARD. But overall it was a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought this book because of the heap of positive reviews I'd read, including yours... and I'm so glad I did! It was definitely captivating, and had me holding onto it for dear life. I made the mistake of starting reading it on a day my mom and I were running errands, so I was wandering around with my face in a book the whole day, and when we got home I disappeared to finish it, which totally cracked my mom up, but HOLY CRAP it was good! And I agree with you, The Season made me just as uncomfortable as Amy, which was very uncomfortable, but it didn't make me think any less of the book (just the society, which was the intent). I must confess, though, the character that appears toward the end (which I'm assuming was meant to be a shock), I guessed within the first couple chapters-I just thought that particular element was too obvious. Overall, though, I loved it! Thanks for the review :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't get people who don't like AtU! I LOVED it! I also got to meet Beth and she is amazing, she even knew who I was! Gotta love Twitter.

    Can't wait for A Million Suns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you reviewed this one, because I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. This book got me out of a reading "slump", and was one of those books that make you think about why we are the way we are.

    Keep reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought the concept of this book was amazing but the weird sexual stuff made me really uncomfortable so it kind of tainted my opinion of it. However, I'm pretty sure I will read the sequel (if there is going to be one?!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the opportunity to win a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails