Wildwood Dancing-- Juliet Marillier


Fate wanted me to read this book. Plain and simple. I saw that my friend was reading it on GoodReads, and the next day I saw it in the library.

It’s a slight twist on The Twelve Dancing Princesses only, there aren’t twelve, there’s only five. Every full moon the sisters sneak out of their palace-like home through a portal and into the Other Kingdom. Where they dance with sprites, and faeries and Night People. But while the Other Kingdom seems to be a bright place, it has it’s dark corners that may suck up the girls before they can stop it.

I absolutely adored this book. Ah! I loved it! I didn’t at first, because it took me almost two weeks to read the first 100 pages, making me find it a little boring. But oh, I was wrong.

The strongest theme in this book is love. I usually have a hard time with these books, because it never seems to me to be proper love. It’s always too passionate or too lax. WD mixed them together and created a love so beautiful and believable, that it made my heart cry out for it. Add in some magic dances, a pig-headed cousin (that I wanted to kill throughout the entire book, honestly), and a frog, and you’ve got something wonderful.

I was on the edge of my seat. I CAN’T wait for the next book to come out in the fall. Grah! Curse you Juliet Marillier! Why must you be published outside America?!

;)

~Enna Isilee

21 comments:

  1. That's probably one thing I like about living overseas: Cybele's Secret. ;)

    I don't think I could ever get tired of reading WD. So. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True dat. Do you think you could send me a copy? I'd pay you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliet Marillier is one of my favourite authors. I absolutely adored Wildwood Dancing, too.
    Although my favourite of her books is definitely Daughter of the Forest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I go to Singapore anytime soon, then sure... ;) Just make sure you're able to get a hold of about a zillionfinity dollars and a Jolly Rancher or two - CS happens to be priceless (until September, that is). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn. I'm quite in the hole actually. If you want Jolly Ranchers though I've got those up the wazoo!

    RR2-I didn't know she had written anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's written about three other adult series. :) They're a bit more mature though... but they're just as good-if not better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *hides* I just can't get through this book...

    ~Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  8. *shrug* Like I said Fee, the first pages were slow for me. Press on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, do press on! It's so worthwhile once you do... You know, Enna, that you can order it through Amazon UK; and if you get it used then it's about the same price it would be in the US? I just did... I can't wait to get it!!!! Also, WD just came out in paperback in the US and the end of it has an excerpt from CS :)!

    ~Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am eagerly awaiting the second book as well. Even the name is great. The first book was a success in Aella-land. I reviewed it a little while back.

    Waitwait. Miss Marillier has written another series as well? Tally-ho!

    *Aella*

    PS I have always wanted to say that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gah! So excited to read this one. I have a copy of it, but my list of books I now own but need to read has gotten rather longer than usual, so we'll see when I get to it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would read this, but I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This books sounds really good. I'm going to have to pick it up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Celes, you're the reason I picked up this book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Because it's Twelve Dancing Princesses and that's also my novel. So I can't read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this book recently as well. I love her writing and the Sevenwaters Trilogy is one of my favourites (if you haven't read them Daughters of the Forest is the best and first one). We have the sequel out in the UK but I have an aversion to hardbacks so am waiting patiently for the paperback next year...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Q, it's really very different from the original tale, I think. No being forced to dance or whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still. I'll read it when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heh heh. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like I said, I'll get to it soonish... probably after school's done with.

    ReplyDelete
  20. THERE'S A SECOND BOOK???!!!!!
    WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME???!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails