The Five Fists of Science-- Fraction & Sanders

Release Date: June 13th, 2006
Genre: Graphic Novel, Sci-fi
Publisher: Image Comics
Pages: 112
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
True story: in 1899, Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla decided to end war forever. With Twain's connections and Tesla's inventions, they went into business selling world peace. So, what happened? Only now can the tale be told - in which Twain and Tesla collided with Edison and Morgan, an evil science cabal merging the Black Arts and the Industrial Age. Turn of the century New York City sets the stage for a titanic battle over the very fate of mankind.
Blurb: Woah. This book was crazy.

Review: This review is probably going to be a little rocky since it's my first real graphic novel review. I haven't quite built up the pallette to say what makes a graphic novel great/not great. So I'm going to give this my best shot:

I really liked the little historically accurate tidbits. The authors took A LOT of liberties with the story, but they also made it very clear where the truth was within the fiction. It was really cool.

I also loved how much was in here! There's a science, humor, magic, monsters, and more! Just when I thought I had figured out where the story was going, it twisted another way. Loved it!

The only thing I didn't like was how short it was. I felt it EASILY could have been twice as long. There were some things that were skimmed over so fast that I couldn't follow what was happening even after going back and re-reading.

All-in-all I have only one wish: that there was more than one book, or that it had been longer. Both because I just want to read more about this world, and because I think it would have made it easier to understand.

    All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012
    *I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

    1 comment:

    1. I was super intrigued by the concept of this book and jumped at the chance to read it. I was a little let down for the same reasons you mention in your final paragraph...I wanted more and it just wasn't there.

      Still, it's a lot of fun and a solid entry point into the world of graphic novels, especially as a transition from more classic/standard literature. :)

      Nice review

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

    Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

    Related Posts with Thumbnails