Enshadowed-- Kelly Creagh

Release Date: April 28th, 2009
Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Athenum
Pages: 362
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Series: Nevermore #2 (Review of #1)
Summary (Spoilers, highlight to view):
Varen Nethers is trapped in a perilous dream world -- a treacherous and desolate realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel Lanley, plagued by strange visions and haunted by the nightmares of Varen's creation, is the only one who can save him.

Isobel knows that her only hope lies within a Baltimore cemetery. There, in the early morning hours of Edgar Allan Poe's birthday, a mysterious stranger known as the "Poe Toaster" will make his annual homage at the legendary poet's grave.

Only the Poe Toaster holds the key to the way between worlds. But even greater dangers lie ahead for Isobel. An ancient evil, draped in veils of white, is watching, challenging her for Varen's affections. When Isobel finally finds Varen, he is no longer the quiet and brooding boy who once captivated her, but a dark force, powerful and malevolent.
Blurb: Disappointing after the awesomeness that is Nevermore.

Review: To be honest, this book disappointed me. Almost NOTHING was resolved. In fact, it was primarily made worse. And about 80% of the book was just us seeing how broken Isobel was. If you were to ask me what happened in that 80%, all I would be able to tell you was "Isobel had strange dreams and argued with her parents." Granted, the last 20% was EPIC beyond belief. This would make the best movie ever. But... after NEVERMORE I was expecting... more.

Did I still like it? Heck yes. I love how Kelly weaves in truth among the fiction. And as a Poe-lover, I adored the references to his books. Will I read the next book? HECK yes. I still really want to know what happens to Varen and Isobel. But did I love this book? No. Honestly, you probably could read JUST that last 20% and be totally fine. This book definitely suffers from 2nd-book-bridge syndrome*.

*2nd-book-bridge syndrome is where the second book in a trilogy does nothing but set us up for the third book. Not much happens, but you can tell something WILL happen eventually.

Other Reviews (most contain Nevermore spoilers!):

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed. I liked it, and am anxious for the final book, because I need to know what happens to Isobel and Varen. I think knowing it was a slow book without much action beforehand helped me adjust my expectations and enjoy it more than I would have otherwise.
    Here's my review:
    Enshadowed Review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I am so sad about this. I have the book out from the library but after being absolutely electrified by Nevermore I am dreading the let-down. Maybe I should just read Nevermore again, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh, I hate when 2nd book syndrome happens. It can put a bit of a damper on the whole series (at least for a little bit). Hopefully the third book is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I am sorry you didn't like it that much. I understand your point of view, though for me even the 80% was interesting. What can I say, I love dreams and family drama :P
    Maybe the next one will be for you as great as the first one ;)
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails