Unfinished Friday (4)

I read a ton of books that I don't ever finish for various reasons, and I never review them on this blog. But that's not fair! Maybe you guys want to read them, or want a warning not to read them. If you want to see what other books I started, but didn't finish, here's Unfinished Friday (1), Unfinished Friday (2), and Unfinished Friday (3). As always, here's my preface to Unfinished Friday:

I rate a book kind of like a movie. I don't see R rated movies. Never. So I won't read "R" rated books. My only real problem is with the "F" word, or very heavy usage of unnecessary profanity(And I know we all have different definitions of "unnecessary"). If the story is good, and the profanity is something that really adds to the story, then I'm fine. But some authors use profanity flippantly, and I just can't stand that.

I don't believe that books should be suffered through. It's one thing to finish a book in emotional turmoil (some of the best books do that) But I don't believe they should leaving you feeling "dirty." I'd much rather write a "why I didn't finish" post and have someone else read it and love it, than write I "I really wish I hadn't read this" post and write a negative review that makes someone never touch the book.

And some of these books weren't inappropriate, they just didn't hold my interest for some reason or another.

I am under no authority to condemn a book. This is all just my opinion, please understand that I respect all books and authors. There are so many good books out there! I'm not going to suffer by skipping a few. I'm constantly branching out my horizons. But, in doing so, I've found genre's I don't like, just like everyone else. Some people don't like Sci-fi (crazy fools!), I don't like angsty books.

These are books that I haven't finished from November 2010 to present. I won't go into a ton of detail, but here they are:


Trickster's Girl, by Hilari Bell (GoodReads)
I just wasn't getting into this book. The writing felt a little stiff and awkward, and I felt very little motivation to pick it up. It was causing a clog in my reading pile, so I just decided to stop.


The Floating Islands, by Rachel Neumeier  (GoodReads)
Pretty much the same story with this one. I received it on a tour and just didn't have enough time to finish it before it needed to be mailed out. But from what I read so far, I just didn't feel invested enough in the characters to be in a hurry to track this book down again anytime soon.


Darkness Becomes Her, Kelly Keaton (GoodReads)
This book has been getting a lot of buzz around the blogosphere. Unfortunately, it had a little too much profanity for my taste. If I'm remembering correctly, the main character used the F* word as a way of describing a dress(?). And myriad other curses. Far too casual for me.


Compulsion, by Heidi Ayarbe (GoodReads)
I really wanted to read this book. I don't know if any of you know this, but I actually have a [very, very mild] form of this type of OCD (so mild, it really isn't OCD, just O.). It's one of the reasons I'm a math-major. I'm obsessed with numbers (especially 2, 7, and 3. Whenever I use the microwave whatever I time I put in must end in 7), but I'm not "compulsed" by them (I'll still eat the food if it didn't end in 7 seconds). Unfortunately (and I was pretty sure this was going to happen) there was a lot of profanity in this book. Too much for me. Major bummer.

So there you go. Please remember that I am not trying to attack these books. I hope that if one of them sounds interesting to you that you will pick it up. But I'm a reviewer, and I feel it's my job to not just let you know about the books I liked, but also about the books that I liked too little to finish.

Have a great Friday!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't finish Trickster's Girl either. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on the unnecessary profanity; I just finished Invincible Summer which started out fine but the last couple of chapters had way too many f-words. I finished it because I was so close to the end but I was left very disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great meme! I don't think I have enough DNF books to even feature this meme every week. A really great idea though, since I feel bad when I DO just drop a read and no one hears about it again. I might make this a bi-monthly thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I haven't read or tried to read any of those books. I was really interested in DARKNESS BECOMES HER, but I might let it go if it's that casual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oi, I DEFINITELY don't have enough DNF books to do this every week. I've only done it 4 times in nearly 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had deg don't finish certain books. And th "F" words bugs too, especially if it's like litter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I haven't started DBH yet. But I'm w/ you on that. I don't mind cursing, when the scene calls for it, but books that just casually drop the F bomb every other paragraph really gets on my nerves. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails