*Bumped-- Megan McCafferty

Release Date: April 16th, 2011
Genre:  Dystopia, Relationships
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 336
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
When a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.

Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.

Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.

When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common
Review: I actually surprised myself with how much I wanted to read this book. Many of you old followers know (and many of you new followers will soon find out) that I'm very cautious when it comes to sex in novels. In fact, I rarely ever like it. From the description, you can clearly see that sex is pretty much all Bumped is about. So I'll be focusing my review on how the author, and myself, dealt with that.

The important thing for me in reading this book was to stay detached. I didn't allow my personal beliefs to "get in the way" of the story, which is crucial. (Please note that I said my personal beliefs not my personal standards. Y'all know I never sacrifice standards for any book) If you go into this story expecting something wholesome, you're going to end it offended. This book deals with all the heavy hitters, teenage sex, cult-religion, non-cult (but still crazy) religion, and more. I don't think there was a single character in this book that I actually could relate with. They were all either too far left or right for me.

However, this detached state of being made this book fascinating. She did an excellent job of crafting a world that was [to me] OUTRAGEOUSLY offensive, and yet I didn't get offended at all. All of the offensive words had been slang-ified so that they didn't bug me at all (there were three instances of the f* word, which was WAY fewer than I was expecting). These characters aren't immoral. Because in this world that McCafferty has created, the ideal of "morality" has been COMPLETELY redefined! And during the sex scenes (yes, there are some. And they aren't explicit at all, but there's no doubt as to what's happening) my brain was working through so many things so fast that I wasn't bothered by them.

If anything bothered me in this book it would be the religion. It seemed like anyone who was religious was seen as "crazy." And granted, most of the religious people in this book were crazy, but still. I don't like it when authors do that. If you don't let that bug you too much, though, then the story flows pretty nicely.

Yes, this book is still certainly for older teens because it deals with very mature issues. But all in all I really liked it. I highly recommend that try to get your hands on a copy. In fact, I'm giving this book away right now! Click here to enter, you have until March 31st!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

8 comments:

  1. It definitely bothers me when anyone with religious beliefs is considered crazy in a book... I've kind of gotten over being irritated about it. I guess it just depends on whether I think the author is trying to "slam" a religion or not. I recently heard more about what this book is about, and I really do want to read it just to see what the take is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this book last week and I agree with you. It was so interesting. Yet really disturbing. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty annoying when in almost every book I read religion gets slammed in one way or another...or there is no 'sane' religious person. They are just all crazy. So I guess for that aspect I will need to detach myself.
    But, other than that, I am looking forward to reading this one and seeing just how it deals with the issue.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I don't really like it when authors portray all religious people as being crazy. But hey everyone has their own view of things. Still looking forward to reading this! The premise is so interesting. I'm glad the execution was well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get what you're saying about the crazies and religion, but I just tried to seperate that and also enjoyed this one.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I was wary of reading this because Harmony sounded crazily religious in the synopses. Though I love dystopian, I think I won't read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also very leery about sex in reading, which is probably why I do gravitate to YA books (and dystopia), but based on your review, I think I'm going to check this book out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I have seen this cover around but I hadn't read a review on it yet. I had no idea it was all about sex and I really am not sure how to feel. I think based on you review I will give it a chance though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails