Guest Post: What's in a Name?

Hey there Squeaky Readers! I'm Gabrielle Carolina! Ennalee invited me to guest post, and so I just wanted to stop by and share an observation that my blog, The Mod Podge Bookshelf, takes into great consideration:


Character’s names.

Have you ever noticed that the most popular books bear the coolest monikers? I know that I’ve picked up many of my personal favorite books over the years all because of a great name. Why do you think that is?

I have a theory, and even though it’s not scientifically proven I think it holds it’s own. My theory is that authors who take the time to write amazing books name their characters with the same devotion as one would (hopefully) give a child.

At the end of every review I will write a small blurb called Notes on the Names in which I will discuss the highs and the lows of the authors choices. The factors I usually consider (when applicable) are historical accuracy, name meaning, trend consistency and the X-factor. I find that my theory is proven more true than false with every positive, or negative review.

So, I want to know, what are your favorite books and what names really make the book sparkle? Please comment here on Enna’s blog and then head over to The Mod Podge Bookshelf so we can keep talking!

Blessings,

Gabrielle Carolina <3

I want to thank Enna Isilee very much for letting me do this guest post and I can’t wait to hear everyone’s thoughts.

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorite books is To Kill A Mockingbird and I love ALL the names in that book. Scout, Jem, Dill, Atticus, Boo Radley...I could go on and on.
    More recently, I love Evie's name in Paranormalcy. I think it fits her perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind if a name isn't fantastic in a book, but the perfect name is just icing on the cake.

    I find for my own writing it takes me quite a while to find the right name. And when I do I can just feel that it's perfect. Like in my story right now, the main character is a baker named Ginger, and it fits her perfect. But it took me, like, three names before that to get me there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gretchen- The name Atticus is a big favorite amoung literary baby namers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the names in Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time that I talk about naming our future babies, my names come from a book: Scout, Esme (from Educating Esme, not Twilight!), Hermoine, Katniss, Stargirl (so far, my husband is definitely not going for this one), and Viola are all favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie-

    My favorite literary name is Evangeline from Longfellow's epic poem.

    Many of my fav. "literary names" are from legends, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished reading a book (By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept) that didn't even name the male protagonist!

    I thought The Hunger Games names were damn cool. Katniss, Peeta, Gale, etc. They were definitely from another world, and were one example of Suzanne Collins' amazing creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer- I have written a post about the Hunger Games names that will be published very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails