**Lockdown: Escape from Furnace--Alexander Gordon Smith

I LOVE how many books have trailers now! So, instead of me summarizing this book, you guys can watch the uber-creepy trailer, and hear the author talk about it, then I'll give my review:







This book was delightfully disturbing. It was The Hunger Games, meets The Maze Runner. I found myself on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it. It's oh-so-very creepy. Which is my only warning.

This book was surprisingly clean when it comes to language. After all, a bunch of teenage boys in a prison that the cover describes as worse than hell probably wouldn't have the best language, but the swearing wasn't extreme at all. Mind you, that doesn't mean there wasn't any swearing, but it didn't bother me too much, and I'm quite sensitive to it.

This book may end up giving me nightmares, but it was worth it. I love books with a good mystery. Those of you who have read The Hunger Games do you remember the shock at near the end of the game, when there were those creatures that weren't just creatures? (I'm trying to be vague to avoid spoilers) Well, there's something similar to that in this book.

Ooh. I still have the chills. I think the cover they show in the trailer is for the UK version, because my ARC has a different cover, and it doesn't come out until Tuesday the 27th.

If you don't mind horror-books (and I hadn't even thought of this as a horror book until the trailer told me it was, I thought it was just more mystery/sci-fi/paranormal, but now I can see that it is a horror book), and you liked The Maze Runner, and you're okay with characters that are FAR too young to be dealing with that kind of stuff, then check out Lockdown: Escape From Furnace

Sounds like a confusing review? I'll summarize:

This book is creepy, but oh-so-very good.

I'm very interested to see if others found it as good as I did. If you decide to read it, let me know if you liked it, or if it was too disturbing for you. Because I think of myself as a very picky/sensitive reader, and yet I could handle it.

~Enna Isilee

Oh. To give you an idea of how picky/sensitive I am: HP & The Prisoner of Azkaban gave me nightmares.

A QUESTION ON BOOK-BUYING ETHICS:
I just found out that the next two books in this series are already available in the UK. Does anyone know if there is any taboo about buying a book from another country before it comes out in the USA? I can't see why that would be an issue, can you?

7 comments:

  1. If the UK Amazon or wherever will ship them to you, I see no ethical reason why you shouldn't buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are buying a book, I think the book world will be happy with you right now. No matter where it comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book! And the HP 3 movie gave me nightmares -- I hated the guy who played Wormtail :)

    You also have an award waiting for you at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! I noticed that two that the other books are out in the UK now. I really want them, and I would get them if they ship to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing that keeps me from buying UK books is spending nine dollars on the postage for one book....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only payed $3! I was very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you ever read the rest of this series? I loved the first book, but haven't ventured farther than that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails