**Leviathan-- Scott Westerfeld

Here we have a treat! Instead of me telling you about the book, here's a cool 1 minute trailer all about it!







Sounds pretty cool eh? And it was!

We don't focus too much on WWI in our history books, rather we talk about WWII, so this was very refreshing. I found the idea of giant war machines and fabricated monsters COMPLETELY ludicrous for 1914, but absolutely fascinating.

There is absolutely no swearing in this book! Hurrah! It is one of the squeaky-cleanest books I've ever read! I was really nervous that it would be more like Westerfeld's Midnighters series, which is not squeaky clean, but it wasn't!

This book was very gripping, I wanted to know what was going to happen, and I wanted a ton of detail on how in the world they made all these creations.



But,



horror of horrors,



IT'S A SERIES!!!! WITH A TOTAL CLIFFHANGER ENDING!!!

Unfortunately, it isn't a cliffhanger that makes you go "Oh my gosh I can't wait for the next book!" It's a cliffhanger that makes you go, "Seriously? You couldn't have told us that in this book?!" So... I am a little frustrated by that.

And it actually took a really long time for the two main characters to meet. I wanted them to meet and start getting really involved in the war. It didn't happen that way, they didn't meet until the last 100 pages or so. But it's all set up so that the next book will really be them fighting side by side. So I'm really excited.

All in all I really enjoyed it, it's a definite Squeaky Book.

The sequel Behemoth comes out in October 2010. Hopefully I can grab an ARC, because I have very high hopes for it.

~Enna Isilee

8 comments:

  1. My copy of Leviathan came in the mail yesterday... can't wait to start it. I absolutely love that video though, it is what convinced me to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'll have to read it sometime soonish. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to read that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that we need to learn more about WWI, because until I took a European History class I had no idea what happened and why in WWI, and unless you understand WWI, you cannot understand why WWII happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the exact same way about the ending...AND, I can't wait to read the next books. The only terrible thing is that I'll have to wait... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good, but I think I will wait to read it. I hate endings like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read this book and love it! I think that WWI should be taught more. It's such a shame that everybody knows about WWII, but not WWI.

    About how you said in the book people don't swear...well they do. It's just that they have their own unique swear words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so very right. They do. But I guess it doesn't bother me when it's not a word I know, just like THE BOOK THEIF which swears in German and BLACKBRINGER which swears in a made-up fairy language.

    On principle, those "fake swears" or swears in another language should bother me... but they don't.

    I shall have to contemplate this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails