Some Pig

Salutations! I'm Gretchen--I write at Gretch-a-sketch and the very-under-construction Soda Pop Reviews. Given the choice to write about anything on Enna Isilee's blog, I choose books.
Real creative, right?

Because I'm a list maker by nature (you should read the one where I talk about the literary characters I want to marry), I present you with...

The Ten Kid Books Every Child, Teen, and Adult Should Read
(By no means comprehensive or in any particular order...)

1. Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tearing up just thinking about it right now. Charlotte and Wilbur are such a dynamic duo and it effectively combines the worlds of the farm animals and humans. The animated movie is awesome, but I never saw the recent version, because Dakota Fanning weirds me out.

2. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsberg
I have a little brother who's four years younger than I am. He's 100% Jamie and I'm 100% Claudia, so this book means so much to both of us. Answer me this: What person doesn't want to run away from home and live in a museum? Even just a little? I know, I can't think of anyone either.

3. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, by Betty MacDonald
They're kind of old-fashioned, but the humor and lessons involved are classic. Read the whole series--you will not be let down. (Also see: Amelia Bedelia)

4. Sideways Stories From Wayside School, by Louis Sachar
I hesitated to put this instead of Holes, but I think I made the right choice. This is one of the funniest books I have ever read. For example, three of the students are named Eric Bacon, Eric Fry, and Eric Ovens. Hee!

5. Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale
It would be seriously remiss of me to not include Shannon Hale on this list. Miri is so pure and wise that all girls (and guys!) can learn from her.

6. Matilda, by Roald Dahl
This is the first chapter book that I ever sat down and read all at once, thus leading to a long and grand tradition of consuming books in one sitting. Roald Dahl truly knew how to connect to a person's inner child. It's also a great introduction to dark humor.

7. The Ordinary Princess, by M.M. Kaye
Have any of you read this? I'm under the impression that it's lesser-known, which is a darn shame. Brief synopsis: Amy is the seventh daughter of the King and Queen. She's blessed/cursed with the gift of ordinariness. There's even a dash of romance. Read it. Soon. Trust me.

8. Where the Sidewalk Ends, by Shel Silverstein
Shel needs no introduction. It's bizarre and punny and the best collection of poetry out there.

9. The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark, by Jill Tomlinson
Plop the Barn Owl is scared of the night-time. This is an issue if you're an owl. If you have the chance, listen to this delightful tale of discovery on tape.

10. The Giver/A Wrinkle in Time/The Dark is Rising
Three-way tie! Things they have in common: 1. Great moral endings 2. They're all my favorite. 3. Their respective series all rock.

What books have influenced you?

7 comments:

  1. James and the Giant Peach, Charlotte's Web (how can you not love that one?!), Oh! The Places you will go!, Jillian jigs, The Little Prince, Where The Wild Things are, Imagine a Day (that one is genius!), Mortimer, The Paper Bag Princess... I could go and on.

    Is it obvious I'm a teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of those books! (I haven't read #9 or #10 (any of them), but the rest are amazing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love The Ordinary Princess! Just a fabulous book all around. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Pinkwater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have some good ones on the list. I loved The Giver as well. Another one that I loved when I was younger was The Giving Tree, and it's definitely very appropriate for older readers...and I suppose you get more out of it when you're older.
    I really enjoyed the Amelia Bedelia books as well. They were cute and super fun.

    :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, Amelia Bedelia (sp)... I love her! And Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.... * happy sigh *

    I love so many children's books... I should post on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Children's books are the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails