Breaking Dawn-- Stephenie Meyer

No spoilers in this post

I’m going to start out by bluntly saying: I liked it. I really did.

I’ve heard a lot of people say that they didn’t like it because it seemed so different from the other books. That’s why I liked it. It definitely seemed more HOST-ish to me than TWILIGHT-ish. But that’s all right because I really liked THE HOST.

For the first… oh… five or six hundred pages I just read with my mouth agape. As a Twilight pessimist I had thought up a lot of really random plot-lines that were just stupid jokes.

Imagine my amazement when one of my “Really Stupid, Random Plot-Lines” turned out to be the actual plotline.

So for a majority of the time I was reading it I was going “WHAT IN THE WORLD?!”

But then at the end I kind of realized why all that crazy had to happen. The ending satisfied me. And, in my opinion, made everyone happy (if in an odd way).

With the previous three books I could never really get over how… not good the writing was. I immediately thought the book was not good because the writing was not good. I couldn’t really see the plot through the errors and… not goodness. (Wow, I am articulate today!) With this one the plot (despite weirdness) immediately sucked me in. I’m going to have to re-read it in a couple months to see if the writing is any better, but from first glance I’d say that it is. I’ve heard someone say that it reads a lot like fanfiction, but not BAD fanfiction, in my opinion.

Another plus for me is that there wasn’t any… sin in the book, per say. No sex until they were married, and no swear words beyond hell and damn. And I have to concede that it’s perfectly normal for some people to say those things.

I know that opinions are going to be wildly different about this book, but there’s mine. I liked it. I thought it was a little weird, but I liked it.

~Enna Isilee

4 comments:

  1. I'm a new subscriber to your blog, found it in google reader and I totally love it.

    I have to say I agree almost 100% with you. I thought this one was the very best in the Twilight Series. That being said, I do like all of them, but that's because I shamelessly love mind fluff. But I do agree, her writing has come a really, really long way.

    Love your pen name, too. Shannon Hale is one of my favorite authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it. I'm still reading it. Into Book 3 and I feel like throwing it against the wall. I just really don't like Bella. I loved Jacob's part (up until the end) because he was angry and sarcastic and it entertained me, but I just don't like Bella that much, and it gets in the way.

    But I'm not enjoying The Host that much either.

    I just, on the whole, don't care for Stephenie Meyer's style. Nothing to do with the characters or the plot. I'm not even calling her a bad writer. I just don't like her style.

    To each her own, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked it as well. It seemed suited to slightly older readers with some of theimplied violence, but like you said nothing explicit as usual. Much better than books 2 and 3 which were a little whiney. It does seem to provoke strong reactions which is always fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails