**Life of Pi-- Yann Martel

Life of Pi
Oh. My. Goodness.

This is the kind of assigned reading they should have in schools. This book had so much to offer psychologically, symbolically, and philosophically and yet it was a FACINATING story. If you really wanted to, you could read it exactly as it's written, just a story. But you have the ability at the end to go back and see everything with wider eyes.

Here's the summary from GoodReads:

Actually, I've decided not to give you a summary. It's so much the better when you don't know exactly all the details. I'll let you know what I knew when I first began this book:

Boy doesn't like his name. Boy gets trapped on a lifeboat with a tiger.

That's all I knew.

I started this book yesterday evening and I finished it about 25 minutes ago. I was that enraptured (Plus I had to have it finished by tomorrow for school).

And even if you're going through the whole book going "What in the world is going on. I'm so confused." know that it's totally worth it at the end.

MY WARNING: It really helps if you read this book and then have someone to discuss it with. I would recommend an entire book club. For me, I had my mom. I would have been completely shocked and frozen by this book if it hadn't been for my mom telling me, "Calm down, this is what happened:" Also, there's a bit of gore. After all, he had to kill his own food.

Ah! I loved it!

~Enna Isilee

**I've decided to star all books that qualify as "Squeaky" books. So if you see asterisks before the book title, you'll know it's squeaky!

12 comments:

  1. Wow...I will definitely add this to my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that you need someone to talk it over with. The ending is the sort of thing that leaves you a bit unsettled.

    I had to think it through on my own, which worked okay. There was a lot of thought that came along with this book.

    But this story is pretty amazing. And the ending makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oer! So glad to hear you liked it that much. It's been a few years, but I really enjoyed it too. It made me laugh and scratch my head and furrow my brow, and bled into my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this as well and bought my uncle a copy. My mum recommended it to me so I was able to call her after and discuss it. The only really odd part was with the floating island near the end...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have really wanted to read this book, I love books steeped in symbolism and philosophy and, well, everything you just said. Sounds like a winner to me!

    (Are you going to the RR signing tomorrow?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* No. I'm going out of town. Leaving in about 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought this was a really great book, too. The story is all-consuming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED it! I have bought so many copies for friends and had a lot of great discussions too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you help me?
    I was wondering what that book was about the girl who hunts unicorns, who are actually bad and man-eating or something?
    Could you comment with the answer on http://thebookfae.wordpress.com because otherwise, I'll forget =)
    I LOVE your blog, by the way!!!
    I read it all the time =)
    ~ Ëarwen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truthfully I thought this book was based on a true story when I started into it. It took me until he was on the island to truly question that. That's how little I knew about this book when I started it. I know that is probably rather naive of me. Normally I've read something about a book before I dive in.
    But I was pulled in, I know stranger things have happened in reality. Other than the island. So I was more than willing to believe. It was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that Life of Pi is amazing! It's one of my best friend's all-time favorite books and she's been trying to get me to rid it for forever, so I finally did and I was blown away. Definitely one of my favorites as well now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails