Guest Blog: Books I Want



By: Lauren
Blog: www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com
Come and Visit!


I’m pretty excited about doing a guest blog today. I only wish I had more time to come up with something AWESOME to post. Alas, I did not…and I’m not very creative, so this is what you get: A list of books that I would love to read. I’m always coming across new finds and if I had a ton of money…I would get these titles as soon as I could.

Note: I don’t know how to get pictures to stay next to the number…so sorry for the lack of them!

1. In Search of Adam by Caroline Smailes

Amazon Summary: Motherless, rootless, and unprotected, Jude Williams childhood is fractured by the horror and experience of sexual abuse, forcing her to exist somewhere and nowhere in between childhood and adulthood. Caught within the limitations of her own language and trapped within a family secret, Jude becomes the consequence of her mothers tragedy. As she moves through the 1980s, Judes life is buffeted by choice and destiny and she collects experiences that layer her personal tragedy and plunge her into the darkest of worlds.

Why I want it: I’m always interested in these types of stories. I realize they are very sad and intense, but it’s interesting to see a life so different from my own.

2.What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grownups from Children’s Books by Amy Gash

What it’s about: A list of quotes from children’s books that can very well apply to teens and/or adults.

Why I want it: It just seems like a really sweet book, and I’m a big fan of finding quotes.

3.The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen

What it’s about: I think giving you a link would help more than trying to write up my own summary of the book. Go here!

Why I want it: I suppose this would be the same reason that I gave for In Search of Adam. It deals with big, tough issues. It just seems like a very fascinating book to me.

4.Disconnected by Emily Davidson

Amazon Summary: Devon Wilkins is a bored, middle-class, self-proclaimed anarchist who feels as if he’s stuck in an uninterested world. He is confronted daily with what he calls “fake” people whose lives are consumed with keeping up appearances—people who are slaves to “the man.” When Devon’s therapist leaves for a book-signing tour, he asks Devon to keep a detailed journal of his thoughts and daily life as a form of personal therapy.

Devon fills his journal with rants about society, religion, school, and everything else he feels contributes to humanity’s slow demise. Devon begins to fixate on his next-door neighbor, a fifteen-year-old girl he’s never spoken to. The girl, whom he calls April, even though her real name is Stephanie, goes through a difficult time during the period that he watches her through his bedroom window. His life begins to change as his obsession grows.

Why I want it: I love books that are told through letters or diaries and the like, so this fits that idea. It also seems like a thought-provoking book in many ways, especially if Devon is stating his opinion on so many topics.



There you go! Four books that I have come across and would love to get at some point in the near future. Four books here…a TON more on my actual list!


So what books are you pining for these days? Are they out yet, or are you still waiting for the release?

9 comments:

  1. I'm pining for the conclusion to the Mistborn trilogy. It comes out October 14th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of these...or I don't believe I have, but I know how you feel...it's awful waiting for books to come out, especially when they are in a series and you just want to continue on!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    Saw your comment about my book over at The Things We Read--had to say hi! If you pick up a copy of Driving Sideways, I'd love to send you a signed book plate...just drop me a line with where to mail it! jess (at) jessriley.com.

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess!

    Thanks for the comment and hello to you too! That's a very sweet offer. I'll have to do that as soon as I can get a copy of the book!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of finding quotes, too. Thanks so much for the heads up on Amy Gash's book! I'll definitely check that out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm...that last one sounds good to me.

    I know it's already out, but what I really want is Rapunzel's Revenge. Have just been too busy getting ready to leave for school. For the most part, though, I just put titles on my "to-read" list on Good Reads and forget about them until I see them on a shelf or someone mentions them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hayden: No problem at all! If you get it soon, you'll have to let me know what you think...I'm sure it'll be a little while still before I can get my own copy! :)

    Cuileann: That's awesome! Yeah, I came across it on a forum one day.
    A ton of the books I want are already out as well...it's just not simple getting them all. Money and all that. LOL

    I know what you mean about adding it to a list and forgetting about it. I do that all the time.

    -Lauren
    p.s. Come and chat over at my blog whenever you like!!
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a Liz Jenson book called My Dirty Little Book of Stolen Time and it was soooo awesome. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lenore: Oh, thanks for the idea! I will have to look that one up. :)

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails