Mini Reviews (5)

Even though I haven't been posting, I HAVE been reading. It's made for a pretty big backlog of reviews. Here's a few books that I read a a while ago and I don't remember a whole lot of details. Hence, mini-reviews! These are a great way to smoosh down that "waiting to be reviewed" list, too! The rating for each book is in (parenthesis) next to the title and author name.

Siege and Storm, Leigh Bardgo (4 flowers)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

This is the sequel to Shadow and Bone and this is definitely a bridge book. I liked the story, but didn't feel like anything really happened a lot was just set up. Yes, there were battles and romance (and oi-vey was there sequel phase), but nothing that made my jaw drop (like the first one did). However, it built the story up enough that I can tell the third book is going to blow my mind.

Of Triton, Anna Banks (4 flowers)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

This is the sequel to Of Poseidon. These books are the epitome of a great summer read for me. Really. They're light and fluffy, but still manage to strum my heartstrings. This one actually made me cry! And (correct me if I'm wrong) but I believe this is the final book in the series. Everything certainly wrapped up nicely. Gotta love duos!

Mind Games, Kiersten White (4 flowers)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

This book was really good! But if most books can be equated to movies, then this book is more like a TV episode. Everything happened so fast and so short. It would be really hard for me to justify buying this little book (only 237 pages) in a $18 hardcover. Paperback, perchance, but not hardcover. I really wish this one had been longer, or that the second book and the first had been put together into one big book. If you get the chance, I would DEFINITELY check this one out from the library or some such.

The Age of Miracles, Karen Thompson Walker (2 flowers)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

This book is the cause of what will forever be known as "The Book Slump of Summer 2013." After reading this one I didn't even crack open another book for a MONTH. I have no idea what the point of this book was. Great premise. Terrible execution. And WAY too much foreshadowing/foreboding. It got so old! And don't even get me started on how many things the author got "wrong."

Falling Kingdoms, Morgan Rhodes (3 flowers)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

I thought this book was... fine. (have you noticed that it's been a while since I read anything that really wow-ed me?) The multiple perspectives sometimes through me off, not because I got confused, but because I had no idea who to root for. Because the jumping around preventing me from connecting with any of the characters, I didn't really care about any of them. And there was some weird insta-love stuff going on (followed quickly by insta-death). I definitely don't regret reading it, but I'll probably forget about it long before the sequel comes out.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked MIND GAMES too! Hm, we're sorry to hear that SEIGE & STORM wasn't as good as SHADOW & BONE, but even so we'll definitely read it, because we loved the first and want to know what happens in the complete series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Banks is writing a third book called "Of Neptune" - I thought "Of Triton" ended fairly well without needing another, so I'm curious to see where she goes with it. Definitely excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Mind Games a lot too-very excited to see what will come next and hopefully there will be more development about the dark forces trying to manipulate Fia and Annie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails