Erin Bow & Plain Kate

Today’s interview is from Erin Bow! Her book Plain Kate is an AMAZING story. Seriously. A-MAZING. It reads like a fairy tale and it’s BEAUTIFUL! Y’all should go read it right now. And you can win a copy today! Read on!

Connect with Erin

Describe yourself in 6 words, each with less than 5 letters.

(articles and prepositions don't count, okay?)
a cook, a mom, a geek, a poet -- a smart, sharp chick.

Very nice! Now describe Plain Kate in 5 words, each with more than 6 letters.

A Russian-flavoured fairytale, about belonging and heartbreak and redemption.

Ooh, with that said, if you could trade places with one character from Plain Kate for a day would you do it? Who would it be and why?

Good heavens no.

Characters in fiction never have lives you'd want, do they? Someone said on Twitter the other day, it's never: Jane and Rochester get married and live happily ever after: noises in the attic totally just the pipes. Conflict and misery and danger make for good fiction -- but one doesn't actually want them in one's life.

Still, if one could pick a quiet patch…. I think I'd like to try out Kate herself. If there's a self-portrait in the novel, it's her, and it would be good to try the carving with masterful hands, and to meet Taggle. Hopefully Daj would cook something with lots of garlic. Drina would teach me a song. Linay would stay the heck away. Could I kiss Behjet just for fun? The book never went that direction but I always felt it maybe could….

We had a discussion on twitter about how you didn't like people using the word "depressing" when talking about your book. Can you talk a little about that now? Why do you think people feel the need to use that word, and how would you better define it?

That word, "depressing" -- I don't like that word. It means something real: it means paralysis, the loss of hope. Now, I've read and liked books like that: 1984 is depressing, for instance. Or MT Anderson's Feed. They are books that suck you in and beat you up. When you've read them you feel less good about the world -- though perhaps willing to do something about that, which is the point of such books.

"Depressing," then, is quite distinct from "sad." Depressed people in fact do not feel sad: they feel horrible pain, they feel (contradictory) numbness, and (contradictory again) rage -- but not anything as simple and redemptive as sorrow.

I will accept that Plain Kate is sad. It made me cry, and I selfishly hope it makes other people cry too. If I may channel my inner Bugs Bunny: What do you want from a Russian Fairy Tale: a happy ending? I personally think that the novel -- particularly the ending -- is ultimately uplifting and driven by hope, but it's okay with me if people don't get that layer, and feel nothing but the sadness. That's one level at which the book can be read.

But "depressing" -- no, I hope not. I don't want it to be a book that beats you up, that makes you feel hopeless and numb. That's the opposite of why I write. (I take as my motto E.B. White: "All that I want to say in books, all that I ever want to say, is that I love the world.") And so when people that the book is just too depressing to read, that's a charge that hits home.

Lovely answer! And I totally agree. You've currently got two books in the works: Sorrow's Knot, and Children of Peace. Are these in a similar style/world as Plain Kate, or are they entirely different?

Neither one of them is a sequel to Plain Kate, and neither one is set in the same world.

Sorrow's Knot is another high fantasy, set in a place that resembles pre-Columbian South Dakota -- apart from the plague of ghosts, of course. Some of the ghosts have the unsettling property of being able to turn you into one of them with a touch. (Epidemiologically, then, they are like zombies: I call this my zombie book, though the zombies are disembodied and hidden most of the time.) The lead character is a girl who has inherited the power to bind such ghosts: a power that warps her life in both good and bad ways. I would say the style is similar to Plain Kate: it has a storytelling flavour. It's the sort of book that can credibly open: "The girl who remade the world was born in winter."

Children of Peace, on the other hand, is very different. Genre-wise, it rides the edge between dystopian and science fiction thriller, with a hint of Pratchett. It's about a group of royal children from around the world who are raised by robots in a rural school, where they study classics, grow their own food, and get killed if their home countries go to war. So it's …. a boarding school novel with ritual murder in it? An us-versus-our-robot-overlords novel that also has goat breeding? It's both funnier and more claustrophobic than I'm making it sound. The kind of novel that can credibly contain the line: "In the whole history of human discourse, no good announcement has ever started with and another thing.”

Thank you, Erin! Again, school is so crazy I haven’t gotten her mad-lib ready! I have time this afternoon, though, so you can be sure I’ll be doing it then! I’ll make a new post when the mad-libs have been updated.
They had machinated, Plain Kate learned, to breed the zeppelins, a project that required both laughter and frolicsome talk, and took everyone's attention. There was earlobe business too: trading of news and washrags, songs and stories. Pan Oksar's farm was a bustling, raggedy place, even in the mud and endless pencils. So it was that when Drina sorted the fire in the center of their tent, turning the walls green and the little space cozy with flickering light for the first time that Plain Kate could remember, they were quite alone, and likely to stay that way.
*mad-lib idea was inspired by Alysa at Everead!

GIVEAWAY TIME

Today you can win a hardcover copy of Plain Kate! Head on over to Smitten With Books to enter!




All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

29 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you did this interview! I just loved Plain Kate so much and her upcoming novels sound amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Plain Kate in my to-read stack! I'll move it up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard great things about this book. I must read it! After I read the 20,000 other books in my pile. Well, I'll move it to the front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! This book sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a book that makes you cry? im definetly reading it! this book looks good! will add it to my TBR pile =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just LOVE books that make me cry, because they are the books that ill always remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since I read your review of this I've really wanted to read it! Just haven't gotten around to it yet. it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be adding Plain Kate to my to-read in 2011 list! :) Glad I heard about it, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds great and as long as there is some type of hope in the book I won't mind the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! I love all of Erin's answers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved the insight into the 'depressing' - its nice hearing these sorts of details from an author. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think her interview might be my new favorite. She gave such deep, insightful answers. If her writing is anything like her answers, then I think I will love her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview. I will have to add this book to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome interview! This book rocks :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorrow's Knot sounds really cool; I love ghost stories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Erins thoughts about "depressing". I always hope a book leaves you not sad but with a feeling of hope.

    bchild5 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to read her book now just from that paragraph on "depression". :) great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! This book has been on my wishlist forever. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had this one on my wishlist since I read the first blurb.
    I'm a follower on GFC-Lisa Richards


    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally agree about the whole "depressing" thing! its a completely different word from 'sad'. Great interview! need to pick up Plain Kate :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never heard about this book until I read this interview. Now I have added it to my TBR pile. Thank you so much for this! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love fairy tales of all kinds. Thanks so much for the opportunity to win a copy of Plain Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've wanted to read Plain Kate for a long time--thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Definitely adding this to my to-read pile. And I love the author's explanation of the difference between depressing and sad - I never really thought about it, but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this book sounds so beautiful. I would love to read it

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved this interview, and I agree with her definitions of sad and depressing. I don't like depressing books, but I like books that make me feel sorrow. Something like The Book Thief, I think, is the latter, but this may just be an individual thing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These interviews have introduced me to such great authors!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails