The Line-- Teri Hall

Release Date: March 4, 2010
Pages: 219
Genre: Dystopian
Rating:

Official Website:
Click here
Summary:
An invisible, uncrossable physical barrier encloses the Unified States. The Line is the part of the border that lopped off part of the country, dooming the inhabitants to an unknown fate when the enemy used a banned weapon. It’s said that bizarre creatures and superhumans live on the other side, in Away. Nobody except tough old Ms. Moore would ever live next to the Line.
Nobody but Rachel and her mother, who went to live there after Rachel’s dad died in the last war. It’s a safe, quiet life. Until Rachel finds a mysterious recorded message that can only have come from Away. The voice is asking for help.

Who sent the message? Why is her mother so protective? And to what lengths is Rachel willing to go in order to do what she thinks is right?
Review: This was a GREAT beginning to a book. But that's all it was: a beginning. This book was far too short. The next book in the series is called Away and comes out in 2011. I think that both books could have been easily merged into one book. As it was, I flipped the last page many times thinking "is this really the end?"

I can tell that there is going to be a lot of really cool stuff in this series, but The Line only set it up. It didn't have a whole lot of action itself.

If you like the Uglies series, you'll probably like this. But if you want my advice, wait until the next book comes out before you read The Line. That way it'll feel like you're reading just one book.

5 comments:

  1. Well put. I felt the same way - all build-up, no real completion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good to me but honestly I'm getting sick of everything being a series. Can't anyone write a stand-alone anymore?

    I'll wait until I'm sure the series is finished before I start this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. This might be good for a quick read:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does The Line remind you at all of The Forest of Hands and Teeth? I just kept thinking of it while I was reading your review...

    Also, I wanted to let you know that there's a Squeaky Books shout out on my blog: http://kdkbooklove.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-love.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, NO! Not at all! The forest of hands and teeth was much more hopping than this book. And I think that's true even for people who didn't find tfohat gripping. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails