My Thoughts on Life of Pi (movie)

I don't think I've made it a secret how FREAKING excited I was to see Life of Pi, the movie version. However, I also made it clear that I was nervous. And unfortunately... I think I had grounds for being nervous.

I'm not going to say too much about the movie. All I'm going to say is that when I left the theater I felt... not awesome. And it's taken me a while to put the reason into words.

This book made me think. The whole time I was reading it not much was happening in terms of action (I mean, he's just floating on a boat) but my brain was going 300mph. In order for the story to have meaning I had to find and create that meaning.

That isn't true for a movie. You don't have to think much at all for a movie to exist. All you have to do is sit there with your eyes open. Media is passive, while reading is active.

This movie took one of the most mentally stimulating stories I have ever read, and made it passive. Yes, it was visually stimulating and beautiful. And everyone I went with (some of whom have never read the book and some have) said that they loved it. But I didn't have to think at all. And that made me sad.

At the end of the day I think I just went in with too high expectations. I thought if there was 3.5 months in between me re-reading the book and seeing the movie then that would be enough. Apparently it wasn't.

I think they did the best job possible in turning this book into a movie, and that just wasn't enough. I stand by my original thought that this is just one of those books that cannot be translated into film.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

9 comments:

  1. Haven't read the book nor watched the movie. Yet. Thanks for your opinion. The movie LOOKS amazing, but I completely understand your disappointment. I'll try and read the book before I go to watch then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, very good to know. Kristan is attempting to read the book, partly as prep for the movie, so she may want to reconsider that... Sorry you were disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my worst fear, is that the movie will scare people away from reading the book. The book is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you feel. I was skeptical about the movie because I could not picture the book as a movie. Like you, I liked the thought process that we went through when reading the book. There was no thinking in the movie; but then, that's what movies are for: no thinking, just entertainment.

    I also posted a review if you are interested in reading it.

    My Life of Pi Review

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the book too and was a little worried. However, I feel like the movie totally made me think. I thought they did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I read the book over the summer and absolutely loved it. I'm hoping to go see the movie before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I feel the movie was awesome and the twist in the story had me thinking for days..now I want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whats interesting is that because I probably didn't read the book I made a comment to someone that this movie was one that made me think and wasnt passive at all. I wonder if I would've had the same feeling if I'd read the book. I will say however that most of the thinking and analysis came at the end of the movie and i found myself constantly going back and analysing certain scenes and their meaning. I definitely will be watching this movie again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whats interesting is that because I probably didn't read the book I made a comment to someone that this movie was one that made me think and wasnt passive at all. I wonder if I would've had the same feeling if I'd read the book. I will say however that most of the thinking and analysis came at the end of the movie and i found myself constantly going back and analysing certain scenes and their meaning. I definitely will be watching this movie again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails