Mini-Reviews (4)

Here's a few books that I read a few weeks ago and I don't remember a whole lot of details. Hence, mini-reviews! These are a great way to smoosh down that "waiting to be reviewed" list, too! The rating for each book is in (parenthesis) next to the title and author name.

Crewel, Gennifer Albin (2.5)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

I think that the premise for this book is AMAZING. However, the author thinks I'm a little smarter than I really am. Never was the system of magic explained, or what kind of world they lived in that let this work, etc. etc. The world-building just wasn't there. I had no sense for scope or culture or... anything. Sure, these things were MENTIONED, but never explained. It was like the author thought that I already knew everything there was to know. Sometimes I wondered if this was actually a sequel that I had accidentally picked up.

The ending of the book was REALLY cool, and I'm interested to see where the story goes. But I wouldn't say that I'm "eager" to get my hands on the next book because I'm still really, really confused.

Monstrous Beauty, Elizabeth Fama (4)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

Woah. This book was kind of amazing. Beth has an unnatural ability to weave together horror, history, and fantasy. I loved every minute of this book! The main character got on my nerves, but she's supposed to so it didn't take away from the story.Only took it down 1-star because of a few uses of very harsh (and unnecessary) profanity. But if that kind of stuff doesn't bother you, 5-stars.

Sweet Shadows, Tera Lynn Childs (3.5)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

I didn't love this book as much as I did the first. It didn't offer me enough new stuff. I felt like the plot of this book was REALLY interesting, but moving in slow motion. Not a lot happened for a 300 page book. But I totally understand what the purpose of this book is: it "humanized" the "bad guys" and let us see into their world. Although I wasn't super impressed with this book by itself, I think it's done a great job setting us up for a great climax in book 3!

For Darkness Shows the Stars, Diana Peterfreund (5)
(Goodreads | Amazon)

Um... what can I say about this book? Its awesomeness surpasses all words. Seriously. I love how Diana managed to use Persuasion as inspiration, but I didn't feel like I already knew what was going to happen. My ONLY complaint is that I wish I could have seen more of the world. I wanted to spend a day in the lives of the reduced. I wanted to experience the plague! I wanted to see what caused humanity to wipe itself out. Or in other words: I want a prequel! I really really want one. Or more than one. If you like Jane Austen storylines, and you like sci-fi and steampunk, you will be head over heels for this book.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

9 comments:

  1. I agree with your review on Sweet Shadows. I enjoyed it, but I kind of slogged through it. Super excited for the final book. And while I did enjoy For Darkness Shows the Stars, I didn't like Kai as much as I liked Captain Wentworth. I understood his bitterness, but I kind of thought the author showed too much of it - I thought he was kind of mean and I couldn't see how Eliot got past it so easily. But I agree with what you said about the world-building - it was fun to read such a different take on Persuasion! Thanks for the other mini-reviews. I think I'm going to have to pick up Monstrous Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking up that last book you listed and look what I found! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/among-the-nameless-stars-diana-peterfreund/1112111603?ean=2940014597982

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    Yes. I've seen that before. But what I want is a FAR distant prequel. One that shows the onset of the plague, etc. I want to read Nameless Stars eventually, but it's not what I'm really interested in knowing more about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, good to know about CREWEL and MONSTROUS BEAUTY. We've been side-eying them, hehe.

    We enjoyed FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS, buuuuuut as huge PERSUASION lovers, it doesn't quite live up to its inspiration. But really, who can match Jane Austen? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd think with such an interesting and creative premise, CREWEL would have had a ton of worldbuilding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm aching to read "Monstrous Beauty." Your short and sweet mini-review just made that ache that much achier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been really curious about crewel and for darkness shows the stars I guess I know which I'll read first!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails