**Fury of the Phoenix-- Cindy Pon

Release Date: April 28th, 2009
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Pages: 362
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Series: Kingdom of Xia #2
Summary (Spoilers, highlight to view):
The Gods have abandoned Ai Ling.

Her mysterious power haunts her day and night, and she leaves home--with just the moon as her guide--overwhelmed by her memories and visions and an unbearable sense of dread. For Ai Ling knows that Chen Yong is vulnerable to corrupt enchantments from the under-world. How can she do nothing when she has the skill and power to fight at his side? A dream has told her where he is, the name of the ship he is traveling on, his destination. So she steals off and stows away on board.

The ocean voyage brings with it brutal danger, haunting revelations, and new friendships, but also the premonition of a very real and terrifying threat. Zhong Ye--the powerful sorcerer whom Ai Ling believed she had vanquished in the Palace of Fragrant Dreams--is trapped in Hell, neither alive nor dead. Can he reach from beyond the grave to reunite with Silver Phoenix and destroy Chen Yong? And destroy whatever chance Ai Ling has at happiness, at love?
Blurb: Best. Villain. Ever.

Review: I loved this book even more than the first. It's a parallel story line one taking place in the present, the other many years in the past. When you break down the two parallel stories into their parts very little happens; but when you put this book together with the first it is an amazing ride.

I think this book is best read right after Silver Phoenix. My only complaint with SP was that it went too fast and didn't focus enough on the details. My only complaint with this one was that it didn't have as much adventure as the first. Put them together, and you have the perfect book.

Although less fantastical and "epic," Fury of the Phoenix is the epitome of masterful character creation. I think I will now dub Cindy Pon the master of creating the sympathetic villain. By the end of this book I WAS IN LOVE WITH THE VILLAIN! When does THAT ever happen?!

Seriously. So good.

Other Reviews (most contain spoilers!):

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. How have I not heard of these? Gah! I want to read this! I love great villains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only reason why I do not have these books (or read them) is that cover change. Whenever I look at them I get really angry! Maybe I'll get them in ebook format so I don't have to look at the covers...

    But anyway, I tend to love what ever books you love and I'll definitely get to reading this series eventually. It's just a shame with the white washing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this one didn't have as much adventure. I need to do a reread cause its already faded from my memory so much. But I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When you break down the two parallel stories into their parts very little happens; but when you put this book together with the first it is an amazing ride."

    Ooo, very interesting and good to know. We'll be sure to read them together, then. Thanks for the tip and for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails