**Everneath-- Brodi Ashton

Release Date: January 24th, 2012
Genre:  Romance, Paranormal, Mythology
Publisher: Harper Collins
Pages: 370
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's.
Blurb: Love. So unique and wonderful.

Review: This book is absolutely brilliant. I love how it weaves the mythology of Hades and Persephone into the story, but doesn't make it that EXACT story. Everything is fresh and interesting (and sometimes absolutely heartbreaking).

Now let's talk about that love interest. I guess SOME could argue that there are two love interests (though one is pure evil, so no. I'm going to ignore him). WHY were there no guys like Jack in my high school? Heck! There are no guys like Jack in my college! It's not often I get swoony over guys in books (especially not guys with facial piercings), but I was falling head over heels for Jack. And he's HUMAN! I love it when two HUMANS fall in love!

Even though the primary focus of this story is romance, it didn't bother me. I have got no problem with romances with a little bit of paranormal. What I have a problem with is books that are trying to pretend to be a paranormal story, when really they're all about romance and the paranormal-ness is just a gimmick. It certainly isn't a gimmick here. The romance in this book is what pulls you along. You HAVE to know what happens. Meanwhile the dark supernatural forces add flavor to the romance that makes it utterly irresistible.

And that ending. OH! That ending. I tell you what, Brodi deserves a degree in Torture Sciences. That ending broke my heart, but left me just enough to hold onto hope. I'm in AGONY people. When's that next book coming out? 2013?!?!? Oh geez. I'm done for.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

10 comments:

  1. I'm officially excited for this book now. :) Does Brodi's sense of humor come through, because she is a riot on her blog? I think I'm going to preorder it, unless I can win a copy somewhere or manage to get an ARC somehow. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if YOU loved it Enna then it must have been a pretty good book! I'm definitely excited about this release, will be looking out for the paperback release (or a sale item in future) because I'm a cheapass. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review - now you've got ME frothing to get a copy lol

    And isn't that cover awesome?!! It'd look great sitting on my bookshelves :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! The story is too good and very interesting to read. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right for some reason I just couldn't think of it as a love triangle! I just had the HOTS for both the guys though!
    GREAT REVIEW!


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Awesome review Enna! For serious! I was totally going to just skip this one, but now? I'm going to HAVE to read it! It sounds awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to read this one for ages! I'm a sucker for greek myth-inspired stories, and well done modernizations of them even more. Good to hear it's as good as I hoped it would be!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this review! I'm so thrilled you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished and I loved it!

    *Spoiler* I have to say, though, that as much as I loved Jack, knowing he had been such a man-ho prior to dating Nikki prevented me from LOVING him (notice that I still love him...just not in all caps). I do not find that attractive in a hero, and knowing he'd slept around so much didn't add to the story in my opinion (it was mentioned more than once, and that he had a rep for "easy one-nighters")...and the fact that he'd behaved that way while pining for Nikki the whole time made it a little worse for me. *END SPOILER*

    I would still have to agree with your Squeaky Books rating, however - the thing with Jack was a minor annoyance and still left me dying for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah. Maybe I skimmed that part, or didn't pay much attention to it. I honestly didn't remember Jack's man-ho-ness.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails