Unfinished Friday (5)

I read a ton of books that I don't ever finish for various reasons, and I never review them on this blog. But that's not fair! Maybe you guys want to read them, or want a warning not to read them. If you want to see what other books I started, but didn't finish, here's Unfinished Friday (1), Unfinished Friday (2), Unfinished Friday (3), and Unfinished Friday (4). As always, here's my preface to Unfinished Friday:

I rate a book kind of like a movie. I don't see R rated movies. Never. So I won't read "R" rated books. My only real problem is with the "F" word, or very heavy usage of unnecessary profanity(And I know we all have different definitions of "unnecessary"). If the story is good, and the profanity is something that really adds to the story, then I'm fine. But some authors use profanity flippantly, and I just can't stand that.

I don't believe that books should be suffered through. It's one thing to finish a book in emotional turmoil (some of the best books do that) But I don't believe they should leaving you feeling "dirty." I'd much rather write a "why I didn't finish" post and have someone else read it and love it, than write I "I really wish I hadn't read this" post and write a negative review that makes someone never touch the book.

And some of these books weren't inappropriate, they just didn't hold my interest for some reason or another.

I am under no authority to condemn a book. This is all just my opinion, please understand that I respect all books and authors. There are so many good books out there! I'm not going to suffer by skipping a few. I'm constantly branching out my horizons. But, in doing so, I've found genre's I don't like, just like everyone else. Some people don't like Sci-fi (crazy fools!), I don't like angsty books.

These are books that I haven't finished from March 2011 to present. I won't go into a ton of detail, but here they are:


The Scorpio Races, Maggie Stiefvater (Goodreads)

Meet the cause of my current reading slump. In a word, this book was SLOW. I said in my review of Shiver that Maggie's writing was so fantastic, her stories "could be about characters watching paint dry and I would be absolutely hooked." This book proved to me that this isn't quite true. You'd think man-eating horses would be pretty interesting, but this book DRAGGED along. I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over and I got tired of it. I was grateful it was a tour book, and had no choice but to send it on after a week. However, it has put me into a brain-fog throughout all this week as well. I don't think I'll be picking it up again.


Double Helix, Nancy Werlin (Goodreads)

Some of you may remember my vehement dislike of Werlin's Extraordinary. I wanted to give Werlin another go, so I picked this one up. I am sad to say that I was unable to get over my previous biases. The story felt predictable, and it just brought Extraordinary back into my mind (despite the fact that the books are very different). I put it down for no other reason than this, and I don't know when/if I'll read a Werlin book again. I feel petty.


Anna Dressed in Blood, Kendare Blake (Goodreads)
Fury, Elizabeth Miles (Goodreads)
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, Michelle Hodkin (Goodreads)

I'm clumping these three together because I didn't finish all of them for the same reason. Anna had the F-word used very casually twice in just the second chapter. The main character used it as an adjective rather frequently, so I stopped after 50 pages.

Fury begins with teens going to a very stereotypical teen party, which automatically gave me a bad feeling. After one of the PBR authors told me that it had numerous uses of the F-word, I decided that I wasn't going to keep going.

I'll admit that I didn't even start Mara Dyer. After seeing on PBR that there were 14 F-words and an [un]healthy smattering of other such obscenities, I decided not even to go there. I know this book is very highly anticipated, and I know the story is supposed to be brilliant, but I think it's better if I don't even try.

Nothing personal to any of these books. I just don't like casual or too-frequent use of the F-word.



So there you go. Please remember that I am not trying to attack these books. I hope that if one of them sounds interesting to you that you will pick it up. But I'm a reviewer, and I feel it's my job to not just let you know about the books I liked, but also about the books that I liked too little to finish.

Have a great Friday!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

7 comments:

  1. No worries, we don't think you're condemning these books at all. What works for one reader might not for another. For example, the F-word probably wouldn't bother us, but redundant writing/storytelling definitely would. Thanks for telling us your honest opinions about these books! That's very brave of you, and very valuable for readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is our "job" to make readers aware of our love and our doubts of every book we had any initial interest in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, Enna!
    I was watching FURY, mostly because I love mythology-driven books. But underage drinking is for me what profanity is for you - can't stand it. So I won't even bother with that one.
    And the reason I'm staying away from MARA DYER is because the love interest is a stereotypical sex-obsessed pig, and the sexual content in that book (getting my info from personal book quotes and PBR) is what I'd consider outrageous.
    I'm like you, though, I don't like unnecessary language, but I can suffer through it. I can't suffer through authors sending the message that drinking is okay (one of the reasons I don't appreciate Sarah Dessen as much as everyone else) and sexual content. So I definitely respect you for even having standards, and I love it that you still give your opinion for books you don't finish. I would've definitely missed not getting your perspective on these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the language warning on Anna Dressed in Blood and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I was really looking forward to both books, but am not a fan of excessive swearing (especially use of the f-word). =)

    Orchid
    The Haunting of Orchid Forsythia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa. Scorpio Races really?

    Well thank you for your honesty.

    I'm with you. This isn't my job, I do it for fun, and if I don't dig then I don't dig it. I don't make myself finish things.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post makes me happy. :) I think it's a great idea. And I'm TOTALLY with you on The Scorpio Races. Glad to hear you liked Shiver better, because TSR was my first try with Stiefvater & it's left me... very underwhelmed. I finished TSR though, and spent 400 pages thinking, Wait, when is this supposed to get interesting? Sigh. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails