**The Adoration of Jenna Fox-- Mary E. Pearson

Release Date: April 29th, 2008
Genre: PURE AWESOMENESS (and I guess... futuristic realism? Is that a genre?)
Publisher: Henry Holt
Pages: 336
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary: 
Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox has just awoken from a year-long coma — so she’s been told — and she is still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. But what happened before that? She’s been given home movies chronicling her entire life, which spark memories to surface. But are the memories really hers? And why won’t anyone in her family talk about the accident? Jenna is becoming more curious. But she is also afraid of what she might find out if she ever gets up the courage to ask her questions. What happened to Jenna Fox? And who is she really?
Blurb: A modern day classic. You haven't lived until you've heard Jenna Fox's story.

Review: This is a first for me, this is actually a re-review. The Adoration of Jenna Fox was one of the first ARCs I received. I got it in February of 2008, and I was dubious because at the time I wasn't a big fan of sci-fi, and this seemed very sci-fi. But I loved it. "sci-fi" is far too constraining a term for the majesty that is this book. I was afraid that it couldn't live up to the first time I had read it, and was very hesitant to re-read it. And boy, was I proved wrong.

This book tears at my soul, rips out my heart, and steals my breath. Still. I could read this book again and again and again. I could memorize every single word, and it would still have that effect on me. There were honestly times where I'd be reading, and realize that I'd been holding my breath. It's that good.

People always ask me what my favorite books are (usually they require that I pick non-Shannon Hale books), and I often forget to mention this one. Why? Because it's such an important part of my life. I forget that people haven't read it. My mom is always asking me if she can borrow a book while she goes on a business trip or some other excursion. When she saw me re-reading this book, she asked if it was one she should read. I gasped. DOZENS of times my mother has asked to borrow a book, and I had always just assumed that she'd read Jenna Fox. I felt like I had failed her! Failed in my mission that the whole world MUST READ JENNA FOX!

That's not an idle threat, either. I have given this book to so many people that I've lost count. Friends, aunts, grandparents, cousins. If I could afford to buy the entire world a copy of this book, I would do it.

Alas, I cannot afford that. But I hope by my expressing how vehemently I love this book, that you will go out and at least find it at your library, if not purchase it. Mary Pearson is one of the most gifted authors I have ever read, and Jenna Fox is a character that will forever be in my heart.

The book is narrated by Jenna, and I think my favorite line in the whole book (and I'm quoting this from memory so you'll have to forgive me if it's a bit off) is this one:
Father says that time heals all wounds.
I don't tell him that I don't know what time is.
Doesn't that make you shiver?! Oh this book is so good. I sobbed and sobbed the first time I read it. I only cried a little this time, but that was because I had gotten my wisdom teeth out about 3 hours before I read it, and crying hurt. Otherwise I would have totally let loose.

All right. This is one of my longest reviews ever-- nearly 500 words. If I haven't convinced you to read this book yet, leave a comment, send an e-mail, do SOMETHING. I won't rest until I convince you.

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

P.S. This didn't fit anywhere in the body of the review, but I will mention that there is one "bad" word in this book that is repeated a few times because it becomes a joke. This isn't a "swear" word, but it still isn't a nice word. Other than that the book is COMPLETELY clean. And this word really isn't that frequent, and it's not meant in a negative way.

10 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of it! I wished I had waited a little while between the last chapter and the epilogue though. Have you read the sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting, and I've been planning to read it for a while. After this review, I'm thinking I need to move it up my to-read list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this book! I read it maybe two years ago. And there's a sequel, too, though I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one (hides behind a rock, please don't hurt me lol). I'm thinking it will have to go on my wishlist now though because of your amazing review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one, but I had no idea there was a sequel. I'll have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you know we share a love for this book, that's not why I am commenting. I wanted to tell you that I recently read A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan, it reminded me in the best ways of Jenna Fox, while being it's own story. It is possibly my favorite read of the year, thus-far and would recommend it.

    I've been talking to the author, she seems great, as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just handed this one to my niece earlier today, and then I told my sis (her mom) that she needed to read it as well. I hope they do.

    I'd say it's the best sci-fi that I've read in the last five (maybe even ten) years. I still think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been looking for this kind of book.Really find interesting and insightful.Everything else you describe, makes it seem like a book I'd love.I loved this book for the beauty of the writing.
    Accredited High School Diploma Online

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this review! I've considered buying this book for awhile, but it isn't really something I'd usually read. However, your review made me go ahead and order it from Amazon (I had a giftcard, and it is rather inexpensive!). Very excited to read it now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails