Eve-- Anna Carey

Release Date: October 4th, 2011
Genre:  Romance, Dystopia
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 336
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.

Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
Blurb: Although initially a charming (if unremarkable) story, Eve ends in a way that will leave most readers unsatisfied and unhappy.

Review: While I was reading Eve I was worried. The story was charming and interesting, but mostly unremarkable. I wanted to know what would happen next, and I wanted to know more about the world Eve lived in; but other than that nothing in the story WOWed me or made it stand out from the many other romance/dystopians that have been flooding the shelves.

Therefore, I was worried because this book was heading for a 4-flower and VERY boring review. One of those "it's good, but nothing special" reviews that I detest writing because they seem so... bland.

I'm not sure if what actually happened is any better, though.

Eve was chugging along, a perfectly enjoyable book (I read it all in one day) and then it got to the end. It was one of those endings that had me flipping pages in confusion. What? That was it? Really? You went through all that to get THERE? It wasn't a cliffhanger (though some people might see it as such) it was just... strange. It was hurried and awkward. It made me feel like the author was thinking something along the lines of "I want to end this story now. What can I do to end it quickly, but still on a dramatic note?" But it just fell flat.

I'm not saying this is what the author was ACTUALLY thinking (duh. Not a mind reader *wink*). If you are completely IN LOVE with the story by the time you reach the end, you might find the ending an utterly gripping cliffhanger. However, since I wasn't WOWed by the story, the ending was just annoying.

Dunno if I'll pick up the rest in this series. I liked the story as a whole (hence the 3.5 stars), and I'm very interested to see what happens to some of the secondary characters (Arden FTW!), but as for Eve and her love interest... I can do without.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. The books that are just alright are the worst sometimes especially because you feel like they could have been awesome and you wanted it to be that way.

    :( weird ending...not good!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review! I'm loving all of these dystopian/post-apocalyptic/sci-fi YA books that are coming out, but there's got to be some that fall flat...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...I'm getting so frustrating with bad endings in YA lately. I may push this one farther down the TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurried and awkward endings are worse than cliffhangers in my mind. Too bad. I was looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails