Bruiser-- Neal Shusterman

Release Date: July 1st, 2010
Genre: Supernatural
Pages: 336
Rating:
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Tennyson:
Don't get me started on the Bruiser. He was voted "Most Likely to Get the Death Penalty" by the entire school. He's the kid no one knows, no one talks to, and everyone hears disturbing rumors about. So why is my sister, BrontË, dating him? One of these days she's going to take in the wrong stray dog, and it's not going to end well.

Bronte:
My brother has no right to talk about Brewster that way—no right to threaten him. There's a reason why Brewster can't have friends—why he can't care about too many people. Because when he cares about you, things start to happen. Impossible things that can't be explained. I know, because they're happening to me.
Review: Neal Shusterman is such a versatile writer! He can write INTENSE books like Unwind, mysterious books like Everlost, and touching books like Bruiser.

While this story does have a paranormal/supernatural element to it, it is very much a book about human relationships. What makes us love people? What makes us act out? How far will you go to save someone you love? Even though it wasn't quite gripping enough to be called a "Squeaky" book, it is certainly a fabulous read.

I love watching how the characters change when Bruiser is around or absent. Bronte is a good person, and Bruiser makes her even better. But Tennyson is an entirely different story. You'll have to read it to find out more.

Touching, heartwrenching, and beautifully written, Bruiser is not a story I'll be forgetting anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! It sounds like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this book floating around the library for a while. I wasn't sure about reading it, but it sounds like a good one after reading this review! I LOVED Unwind so I am already impressed with the author's style. I will be bumping this one up to the top of my TBR pile! Thanks for sharing. I am curious to know if it is a stand alone or the start of a series... I guess I will just have to read it to find out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails