Which non-fiction should I read?

A while ago I asked for adult fiction and non-fiction recs. There were far too many adult fiction recommendations for me to organize into any kind of list. But, I was able to take the non-fiction books and gather the top 14. Here they are:

A Beautiful Mind
Blink
Bossypants
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
The Glass Castle
The Hiding Place
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Last Lecture
Loving Frank
Same Kind of Different as Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together
Seabiscuit: An American Legend
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail


Any of these that you think are one of those "YOU HAVE TO READ THIS RIGHT NOW!" kind of books? Any I should avoid? For instance, I love Tina Fey (well... I love Liz Lemon) and I'm worried that Bossypants might be crass (by which I suppose I mean swearing for no reason or distasteful) or something and make me stop liking her... thoughts?

Anyway, to make it easy I made this poll. Vote for any and all books you think I should read. Yup. Thank you!





All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

11 comments:

  1. The only one on this list that I've read is "Bossypants." Since Fey based Liz Lemon on herself, there are a lot of similarities. But she does one thing she can't do on network television - she swears a fair amount. She doesn't do it constantly, but it's enough to offend. I wouldn't label it "crass", especially because she's so completely honest and down-to-earth. It's hard not to adore her in spite of it. I loved the book, but I don't know if I'd recommend you read it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would start with Blink, Henrietta Lacks, and The Glass Castle. (Disclaimer: I haven't read any of these, but my mom swears by them. And they're on my list.)
    Bossypants is...well, it's a more in-depth look at Tina Fey. I loved it, but it lowered my roommate's opinion of Tina. If you want to keep your image of Tina as it currently is, I'd skip it. (Maybe just read some select chapters? The 30 Rock chapter is great, as is her honeymoon cruise chapter. HILARIOUS.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Crass" meaning what? We didn't think it was unlikeable in anyway, for whatever that's worth.

    Btw, to our knowledge LOVING FRANK is not actually nonfic. It's more like THE PARIS WIFE (great book) -- it's a fictional account of real events.

    Just wanted to give you that heads-up! We cast our votes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should really read "The Hiding Place" (especially because you loved "Between Shades of Grey" so much). It's so moving! Also, any obsessed reader I've ever met has adored "Ex Libris". I know I do. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Hiding Place was really good. Be prepared for a sad but encouraging tale. I didn't finish The Glass Castle; it wasn't for me. I don't think you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of those books, so I'm going to be no help. I still think you should read the Riftwar Saga though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm... Why aren't ANY of the suggestions I gave you on this list?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm telling you... you NEED to read A Beautiful Mind simply because you are into math. I have no idea WHY you are into math, but since you are, you NEED to read this book! But... all the rest are excellent books too, at least the ones I've read which are 8 from this list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seabiscuit does not read like non-fiction. It's so well written that you won't believe it was a true story. If you want to transition from fiction to non-fiction, it's an excellent one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly don't remember the swearing from bossypants because I was laughing so much. Also, don't read it. Get the Audiobook of Tina Fey reading it. It makes it 10x better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Hiding Place is one of the best books. Corrie Ten Boom is courageous, honorable, truly amazing and her book is one that has stayed with me over the years. It's is very much worth the read.
    The Glass Castle, although a true story, has a lot of cussing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails