**Shadows on the Moon-- Zoe Marriott

Release Date: July 7th, 2011 (UK only, US release 2012)
Genre:  Fairy-Tale, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 464
Rating:
The Book Depository Link: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Suzume is a shadow-weaver. She can create mantles of darkness and light, walk unseen in the middle of the day, change her face. She can be anyone she wants to be. Except herself.

Suzume died officially the day the Prince's men accused her father of treason. Now even she is no longer sure of her true identity.

Is she the girl of noble birth living under the tyranny of her mother’s new husband, Lord Terayama? A lowly drudge scraping a living in the ashes of Terayama’s kitchens? Or Yue, the most beautiful courtesan in the Moonlit Lands?

Everyone knows Yue is destined to capture the heart of a prince. Only she knows that she is determined to use his power to destroy Terayama.

And nothing will stop her. Not even love.

Blurb: One of the most hauntingly beautiful tales I've ever had the honor to read.

Review: Now, I'm going to preface this by saying that this book doesn't come out in the US until 2012 (I believe). But you can buy it now from The Book Depository (free shipping!), which is what I did, so I'm still going to review it now.

If you've read my reviews of Zoe's The Swan Kingdom and Daughter of the Flames you know that, in my eyes, Zoe can do no wrong. This book was no exception. I think it may be my least favorite of her books, but that's not saying a lot. I love her books so much that my least favorite of hers is still more loved that most books.

Suzume/Rin/Yue was one of the most complex characters I've ever had the pleasure to get to know (if that isn't obvious by the fact that she has a MILLION names). In this book you watch her turn from an innocent girl into a very troubled woman. The transformation is flawless and totally believable, if completely heartbreaking.

Shadows on the Moon has definitely got a different tone than Zoe's other books. This book is MUCH darker. It reminded me of the original Grimm tales, which are also pretty dark. There were some pretty serious things going on in this book, including cutting. The strange thing was that it wasn't abrasive like that stuff usually is. Maybe it's because the setting was feudal-Japan-esque, or maybe it's just because Zoe's a master. Regardless, I was able to read the book and have all the characters/themes touch my heart, rather than push me away like that kind of thing usually does.

That doesn't mean I wasn't affected. There was one aspect of the book (I don't want to give it away) that broke my heart every time the topic was brought up. And I wish I could tell you that everything was resolved in the end, but it wasn't. Instead the book ended with hope. Buckets full of hope. It was a masterful ending.

It was a masterful book. Period.


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

6 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'd won a copy a couple months back in a giveaway and really enjoyed reading it; Shadows on the Moon was the first book by Marriott that I'd read, though I've now read The Swan Kingdom, too. I actually enjoyed Shadows more because it was a more creative retelling with all that dark stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you remind us of this one again when it comes out in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q, you'd be welcome to borrow my copy if you'd like to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anilee, would that I could borrow it! I have been so eager to get this book I may just have to break down and order it from the depository. Great review (even if it is a bit torturing us) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO anxious to read this one! It's been killing me that I've been too busy to read it yet! For realz killing me! Love the review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails