**Birthmarked-- Caragh O'Brien

Release Date: March 30, 2010
Pages: 320
Genre: Dystopian
Rating:

Official Website:
Click here
Summary:
After climate change, on the north shore of Unlake Superior, a dystopian world is divided between those who live inside the wall, and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone, who live outside. It’s Gaia’s job to “advance” a quota of infants from poverty into the walled Enclave, until the night one agonized mother objects, and Gaia’s parents disappear.

As Gaia’s efforts to save her parents take her within the wall, she faces the brutal injustice of the Enclave and discovers she alone holds the key to a secret.

Fraught with difficult moral choices and rich with intricate layers of codes, BIRTHMARKED explores a colorful, cruel, eerily familiar world where a criminal is defined by her genes, and one girl can make all the difference.
Review: This is DEFINITELY a Squeaky Book. I was up until FAR later than I should have been reading this. Sure, I was in stupor during class that day, but it was worth it!

I loved both the characters, story, and how this book makes you think. It’s a great book if you just want to enjoy a good story, but it’s an even better book if you want to really think about the ideals posed in the story. It argues both for the protagonist and for the antagonist. It's up to you to decide who is right and who is wrong.

I felt pulled along throughout the entire story. Never a dull moment for me. Captivated from the beginning, begging for more at the end.

9 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one. It is so good to hear that it is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I really want to read this and your review left me wanting it even more - EAK!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great review! It sounds so good, I can't wait to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of this one, but now I'm putting it on hold at the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting, will have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have looked at the release date before I tried to put it on hold. It isn't in my library's system yet. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, and I've never even heard of this book. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been on my to-read list for some time now. I think it has just been bumped to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birthmarked takes place in the future where earth's resources are mostly used up. This city has a wall where all the privileged society members live, and is surrounded by poor towns. Each month there is a quota of babies that a midwife must advance into the Enclave walls to be adopted and raised by a rich family. Many of the families inside the walls are either infertile or their children are born with defects and die young. The leaders inside the Enclave walls believe the infants from outside the walls carry genes that suppress the birth defects and so the monthly quotas are raised.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails