Eyes Like Stars--Lisa Mantchev


Imagine living theatre. I don’t mean that you’re in plays a lot, I mean living theatre. Well, that’s the world of Beatrice Shakespeare Smith. She spends her days with Ophelia, the fairies from Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Ariel—the wild spirit from The Tempest. Her bedroom is the stage, and her kingdom is the magical theatre.

Isn’t that a wonderful concept? As a theatre person I found it absolutely enchanting. The concept get’s five squeaks. Hands down.

However, the execution was not as fantastic.

Many of my criticisms are things that could have easily been changed in writing the book, but can’t really be changed now, so I won’t spend too much time on them. In short: the plot was a little disjointed. Plot points were focused on, and then forgotten(I'll give a specific example at the end of this post, it describes the plot. I wouldn't call it a spoiler, but you may want to beware). Characters made decisions that didn’t really make much sense. And it took me about 100 pages to have ANY sort of clue as to what was going on, but it was still intriguing. Especially when the book would turn into script format. I found that very interesting. For all of that, the execution gets 3 squeaks.

And so, I average the scores and the book in total gets four squeaks. But, one plus is that it’s appropriate for just about all ages.

There isn’t much information about this book online, which was one of the reasons I was so excited to get it. I wanted to know what it was about. And I was glad that I got it. It was a good book. Not quite a Squeaky Book, though. That disjointed plot just threw me off.

HOWEVER, I definitely recommend you track this down when it comes out, especially if you like theatre.

~Enna Isilee
*Here's a specific example of where a plot point was brought up, and then abandoned. You may want to beware. This isn't really a spoiler, but it does give away some plot points.

The book starts with Beatrice being kicked out of the theatre. She can only stay if she thinks up something that makes her invaluable to the theatre. She spends a large portion of the book worrying and preparing so that she can stay in the theatre. Then there was a small tangent when the theatre was going to fall down. Finally, the big climactic moment in the book was where Bertie discovered the truth behind her parentage. The problem? She never really seemed that concerned with who her parents were. I mean, sure, she did mention that she'd like to find her mother, but only once. Then they made the climax all about that? Just didn't seem to fit for me, but that may just be me.

Okay. End of plot points.

4 comments:

  1. I've tagged you! (On my Miss Erin blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems really cool! My friend and I are dying to get our hands on this one. Great review! I love how you are right to the point on what you liked and didn't like about it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plot sounds so awesome. But I hate undeveloped plot points. Gross. I think I should take the chance anyway?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails