Non-Christmas Books for Christmastime


Happy Christmas Eve, everyone! And if you don't celebrate Christmas: happy Tuesday with no school/work! And if you work in retail... I'm sorry. ;)

Anyway, I was trying to think of a good Christmas-y post, but I realized that I don't read a lot of Christmas books. So I thought, what books DO I read that would be good for Christmas/Winter Holiday season? And here's what I came up with! Enjoy!

The Giver, Lois Lowry
Goodreads | Amazon

This book has always felt like Christmas to me. Probably because of the end. ;)




Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte

In a classics mood? Try Jane Eyre this holiday. It's my favorite classic and has this wonderful way of both squeezing and warming your heart.

Frost, Wendy Delsol

Now this is the sequel to Stork, and Stork is very winter-y, but this one takes the cake. It's primarily a retelling of The Snow Queen, and a lot of it takes place in Iceland. I felt cold the whole time I was reading it. I loved it! 


Sabriel, Garth Nix

Why yes, yes this book is about demons, BUT I always picture it as the perfect curled-up-by-the-fireplace read. With snow falling heavily outside, the pages lit by the firelight. *shudders* Oh my word that sounds like heaven. And if you can get hold of the audiobook, it's narrated by TIM CURRY! TIM CURRY, people!!


Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys

If you need a book that will make you love all your fellow man. It's this one. Oh... dear... excuse me while I go cry for a minute.





Ice, Sarah Beth Durst

This is probably my favorite retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon. (Although, no, I have not read East). I fell in love with the characters, setting, and more. A great winter read!

The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
Goodreads | Amazon

Need I say more? Really?


So what do you think of my list? Have you read any of these? Are they good for the holiday season? What books make you feel the holiday spirit?

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great list! Added a few things to the TBR.

    I just read The Cleansing ( by Sam Kates), really enjoyed it, and it happens to be set during the winter holidays (although as an apocalyptic SF/thriller hybrid it's not exactly what most people would consider a "holiday story"), so if you get around to picking it up sometime in 2014, it might be a candidate for next year's list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails