Nil-- Lynne Matson

Release Date: March 4th, 2014
Genre: Romance, Mystery, Adventure
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co
Pages: 384
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
On the mysterious island of Nil, the rules are set. You have exactly 365 days to escape—or you die.

Seventeen-year-old Charley doesn’t know the rules. She doesn’t even know where she is. The last thing she remembers is blacking out, and when she wakes up, she’s naked in an empty rock field.

Lost and alone, Charley finds no sign of other people until she meets Thad, the gorgeous leader of a clan of teenage refugees. Soon Charley learns that leaving the island is harder than she thought . . . and so is falling in love. With Thad’s time running out, Charley realizes that she has to find a way to beat the clock, and quickly.
Blurb: A nice relaxing read. Gritty, and yet fluffy.

Review: Sorry to review this so early, but I can't keep quiet about this one! This was the book that brought me out of my reading slump. It was really easy to get engaged, and the plot was very interesting. However... it was a strange paradox, the plot seemed gritty, and yet it always felt fluffy. I never really took it seriously. This is probably because the romance always seemed over-the-top and silly. But then again... I almost always say that teen romance is over-the-top and silly; so that isn't necessarily a trustworthy stance. And anyway, I really appreciated how easy it was to read (which could be interpreted as fluffy, I suppose) because it was like a happy roller coaster for my brain. Didn't have to fight it to like it.

Even though it seemed fluffy, I was definitely invested. I like that the book is a stand alone (it is a stand alone, right?), but it drew me in and I definitely wanted to know more about Nil. This is the kind of book that I really wish had a map and/or pictures. Ooh! And a prequel would be really cool!

This book comes out in spring, and I think it'd make a great spring break read!

Other Reviews (TBA):
  • TBA (Loved it!)
  • TBA (It was okay)
  • TBA (Didn't Like It.)

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2013
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

2 comments:

  1. Enna,
    THIS REVIEW MADE MY WEEK!!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed NIL, and those you "got" it.:) Totally meant to be "gritty and fluffy"--best line ever.:)

    Thanks for taking a chance on NIL and taking the time to post this lovely review! And sharing that NIL was the book that brought you out of your reading slump? Wow--that means so much to me.:) Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *that you "got" it.:)
    Again, THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails