Taken-- Erin Bowman

Release Date: April 16th, 2013
Genre: Romance, Dystopia
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 360
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
There are no men in Claysoot. There are boys—but every one of them vanishes at midnight on his eighteenth birthday. The ground shakes, the wind howls, a blinding light descends…and he’s gone.

They call it the Heist.

Gray Weathersby’s eighteenth birthday is mere months away, and he’s prepared to meet his fate–until he finds a strange note from his mother and starts to question everything he’s been raised to accept: the Council leaders and their obvious secrets. The Heist itself. And what lies beyond the Wall that surrounds Claysoot–a structure that no one can cross and survive.

Climbing the Wall is suicide, but what comes after the Heist could be worse. Should he sit back and wait to be taken–or risk everything on the hope of the other side?

Review: (Keep in mind that I read this in one day, and almost EVERY book I read in one day I say "goes too fast" but I think this one really did regardless of how fast I read it)

This book started off great! It started really interesting because it posed lots of questions that none of the characters considered "questions." Why is there a wall around our village that we can't cross? Why do 18-year-old boys disappear? The characters ask these questions, then shrug and move on.

What I initially loved about this story was that it actually GAVE US ANSWERS! I get so tired of books that string you a long with question after question and just expect you to keep reading even though you're NEVER given ANY answers! Not with TAKEN. Not long after questions were asked, they were answered. And then more questions were asked an answered. And then... we started getting answers to questions we hadn't asked... And by the end I found myself wishing that the author had held SOMETHING back. Because now that I've finished it, all my questions have been answered, and the only thing that might motivate me to read the second book is the love triangle.

But here's the thing about the love triangle. It's an interesting one (since it's two girls and one boy), but I never really connected with either of the girls. Perhaps it's because I read the book too fast, or perhaps it's because the book was full of "one week later"s and "two months later"s. I'm not a huge fan of books that skip so far forward in time. I want to SEE what happens there! Put your big breaks in between books!

But even though I've listed what I think are the books 2 faults (answers too many questions and goes too fast), it has many more virtues. I love the story, I love the setting, I love the premise, I love the main character (Bowman does a GREAT job writing from a male perspective [said a female]). And I certainly will read the second book. But am I dying to get my hands on it? No. The ending to this one left me perfectly content. Hopefully that doesn't mean that it also made this book perfectly forgettable.

EDIT: I initially wrote this review on April 24th. About a week ago I was trying to decide what to read and I saw this on my shelf and thought "Oh yeah! I really want to read Taken! Why haven't I read that yet?" I even picked it up and put it in my purse before I realized "Wait... I have read that." So, forgettable? Apparently.

Other Reviews:

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2013
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm I haven't read this one, so I can't compare my thoughts, but it sounds like this was a case of great premise and poor execution :( I hate it when authors skip points in time for no good reason also, and your edit about how it's forgettable just reinforces that I don't think this is one for me. Great review, though!

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how many answers we got in this book too. I agree that it moved way too fast. I think it jumped too much and left out what could have been some awesome, fleshed out details. The only plot left to continue on in the series is finding out about the other societies. Great review Enna! So glad to have you back on the internets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think that much of this book. I thought it was a fast read but had a lot of problems with the characterization and world-building. I did like that we got some answers early on though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THIS BOOK!! WHY isn't ANY ONE LOVING IT!! it is so good and i loved the romance the plot in it! is there going to be a 2nd book???? i am in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. In fact, I'm guessing a movie adaptation will be made in the future; of course there's the issue in naming the title since there's Liam Neeson one of the same title as this book

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails