Reboot-- Amy Tintera

Release Date: May 7th, 2013
Genre: Sci-fi, Romance, Action
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 352
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.
Review: I LOVED this book's unique take on what it means to come back after death. At first I thought they would be zombies. NOPE! Turns out they're SUPER HEROES! Unfortunately, they're super heroes controlled by an evil militarized government. Bummer.

I really enjoyed the relationship that grew between the two main characters. It's progress seemed genuine, and I really believed that they cared for each other.

HOWEVER, I'm not sure WHY I believed that. Because the main character is always talking about how she is emotionless, and yet she's always talking about the emotions she feels. The book briefly addresses this by suggesting that she might just be ignorant of her own emotions, but... this seemed like a bit of a plot hole. I think it was only because I was able to overlook it that I liked the book so much.

What I most liked about this book, though, is that I felt like I really got a good look at the world and the characters, but it was also really fast paced. There was never a dull moment, but also never any moments of "one thing led to another" and skipping ahead.

There's one thing that I can't decide if it's a downside or not. The ending left me totally satisfied. I put it down and thought "that's a good story, what should I read next?" as opposed to "that's a good story, I NEED THE NEXT ONE RIGHT NOW!!" Usually when I get the "what should I read next" feeling, I often forget about the book before the sequel comes out. But at the same time... I feel satisfied, and so I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. It's quite the conundrum. Take from it what you will.

Other Reviews:

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2013
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're back! I've been waiting for this one for a long time. It sounds really good. The synopsis led me to think zombies, too. But super heroes? Awesome! I actually didn't know this was a series, but I think closure like that is nice in a first book, as opposed to a horrible cliffhanger. I'm excited to read this book soon! Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Ennalee posted again! It's been for too long since I've read a good, solid review. You've fixed that though. Thank you!

    This book is getting a lot of buzz this month. I think that I may need to read it. The premise is drawing me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of fun reading this book-I especially swooned for the romance, which I found incredibly satisfying as I was ever so pleased to read a nice guy instead of a jerky bad boy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails