Partials-- Dan Wells

Release Date: February 28th, 2012
Genre:  Post-Apocolypse, Sci-fi, Romance
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 468
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the world’s population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. The threat of the partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to the disease in over a decade. Humanity’s time is running out.

When sixteen-year-old Kira learns of her best friend’s pregnancy, she’s determined to find a solution. Then one rash decision forces Kira to flee her community with the unlikeliest of allies. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that the survival of both humans and partials rests in her attempts to answer questions of the war’s origin that she never knew to ask.
Blurb: Good for those who already love dystopia, not recommended for newbies

Review: This book is pretty entertaining. It has a fast-moving plot, a variety of interesting characters, and a splash of romance. What it doesn't have is a very strong world. I feel like there was SO MUCH left unexplained, and so I spent most of the book confused when the characters referred to anything other than what was immediately happening.

I mean... did they ever say what (view spoiler)(spoilers, highlight to view) made Partials, partial? No. Ever really tell us what ParaGen was? No. Ever explain what RM stood for or exactly what it did? No. Or if those questions WERE answered in the story, they were answered so stubtly/slowly that I missed it. ANNOYING! I need a fully flushed out world to be satisfied. But I'll admit the plot was still very engaging, if not very saturated. It was engaging enough to be worth 4 flowers, even with the unanswered questions. However, if Wells doesn't answer some of those questions in book 2 I will probably re-think those 4 flowers.

If you're already a fan of dystopia novels, then you'll probably like this one. If you haven't been exposed to dystopia before, I wouldn't start with this one because it might scare you away from the genre.

Other Reviews:


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2012

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I LOVE Dystopians, but part of my love is learning about the society that the author created. I think I'll still read this though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this book! It's one of my best dystopian read this year. But I do understand that it has it flaws but it's still very good for me. :)

    Sarah,
    Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Partials sounds pretty good. I like reading dystopian novels.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails