*The Monstrumologist-- Rick Yancey

Release Date: September 22nd, 2009
Genre:  Horror, Sci-fi
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 454
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Series: The Monstrumologist #1
Summary:
These are the secrets I have kept. This is the trust I never betrayed. But he is dead now and has been for nearly ninety years, the one who gave me his trust, the one for whom I kept these secrets. The one who saved me . . . and the one who cursed me.

So starts the diary of Will Henry, orphan and assistant to a doctor with a most unusual specialty: monster hunting. In the short time he has lived with the doctor, Will has grown accustomed to his late night callers and dangerous business. But when one visitor comes with the body of a young girl and the monster that was eating her, Will's world is about to change forever. The doctor has discovered a baby Anthropophagus—a headless monster that feeds through a mouth in its chest—and it signals a growing number of Anthropophagi. Now, Will and the doctor must face the horror threatening to overtake and consume our world before it is too late.
Review: Apparently I'm on some kind of horror-kick. I always feel strange reviewing horror books. My blog is all sunshine and flowers (most of the time) and then suddenly I reveal to you my dark side. Hope I don't scare you off. The truth is, I won the sequel to this book, so I figured I should read the first one. I'm SO glad I did.

Be warned. This book is SOOOOO gruesome. Lots of people being torn apart. If it were a movie, I would have run from the theatre screaming within the first two minutes. But as I said yesterday, gore don't bother me none.

This is the kind of story that will keep you up late into the night because you're afraid to put it down. It had man-eating monsters, mystery, murder, non-stop action, and CREEPINESS. SERIOUS CREEPINESS. This book was much more gruesome than any zombie book (it even features Jack the Ripper!).

Are you all completely terrified of me now? As I said: these books are my guilty pleasure. I think I liked it so much because I'm in a very anti-romance mood. It's hard to feel romantic when there's monsters eating people everywhere.

So, even though I LOVED The Monstrumologist, I think I have purged paranormal romance enough from my mind to give the horror genre a break. There's only so much even I can take.

If you like horror, READ THIS BOOK.

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

6 comments:

  1. We're gonna be reading this in my book club and I'm almost afraid to pick it up! Haha. I secretly love horror/creepy stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so weird, I just saw this book at the library today. I didn't read all your review but from what did read, I don't think its for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not get through the gore in this book. I guess it's just not my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicky,

    Yeah. There is a lot of gore, but I honestly can hardly remember it. My brain just auto-skips over those parts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this a while ago, but I haven't read it yet. I'm not really a horror person, but I just needed something different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can handle gore much easier in a book than on the big screen. At least
    in a book I can close it-- although it's kind of like coming upon an accident on the side of the road, you just can't turn your eyes.
    I often like to read something like this to purge out the over abundance of YA or romance that I tend to overindulge on. It's rather like sherbet, it cleanse the palate.
    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails