The Demon Trapper's Daughter-- Jana Oliver

Release Date: February 1st, 2011
Genre:  Supernatural, Paranormal, Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 340
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click Here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself – and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on…

Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.

But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?
Review: This book is a GREAT story. I know many of you struggle with "demon" books and such because of religion. I am a very religious person, however, when I read books like this I don't see the "demons" as actual demons. I just see them as any other paranormal creature. And in this regard the story was awesome. It was original, gripping, and well written.

The romance in the book bugged me (I just had a hard time connecting with the love interests), but it wasn't at the forefront of the story. This story was about Riley and the things she went through, and that included her relationships, but was not dominated by it.

I also really wished that MORE had happened. I felt that this book didn't cover a lot of ground. I wanted more excitement, more big reveals! What I got was a lot of exposition.

If I was rating the book on story alone, I probably would have given it 4.5 stars. I'm sure that the next books in the series will cover all the things I felt lacked in this book. Unfortunately, I will not be reading the rest of the series.

Even taking the demon's out of the equation, The Demon Trapper's Daughter was a very harsh read. I was worried about this before reading so I asked some people how severe the profanity was, and was told by numerous people that it wasn't very bad. This is always a dangerous question, because I know profanity doesn't bother most people like it bugs me. There was a lot of profanity in this book. Just about every curse-word you can think of (frequent uses of the f* word). However, I continued to read it because the MC herself actually had a fairy clean vocabulary. Unfortunately, only about 70% of the book is told from her point of view. And nearly all people she interacts with are very crass. This is what brought my rating down to 2.5 flowers.

And so, the awesome story and main character was enough to make me finish this book, but the profanity was just too intense for me to read the rest of the series. I hope someone I know will read them, though, so that I can ask them what happens.

If profanity/demons don't bug you, then you should read this. It's a purty good story.

Apologies for two negative reviews in a row. tomorrow I'll be posting an UBER-positive review! So look forward to it!


All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2011

*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I wondered about this one. But I might wait on it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, both profanity and demons bug me, so I probably won't be reading this.
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this in my TBR pile, but it hasn't advanced to the top since I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it. Hmmm...

    Profanity doesn't bother me too much as long as it's not over-the-top. Strangely, it's the multiple love interests that turn me off. I am beyond sick & tired of love triangles...and I think it's even more ridiculous when the protagonist is being pursued by or is attracted to 3 or even 4 guys at a time.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though profanity doesn't bother me, I didn't excepting that coming. Glad to know that it has a story line.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails