The Problem

I've discovered the problem in my life. I can't believe it took me this long to realize it. It's something my mother's been telling me for far too long.

I watch too much TV.

This didn't use to be the case. I used to only watch a few shows, and I usually watch them with someone. Now I'll watch hours of TV all alone on my computer.

I think I figured out why I do this. Since I started college, I've done a LOT of reading, but it's all been stiflingly BORING! So, when I'm done doing required reading, the idea of reading feels repulsive to me. My subconscious has come to think that they only way to relax is to watch mindless cartoons, or re-runs of 30-Rock (which, I will say, is the best show in the world).

So, I'm going to watch less TV. I started last night. I had an hour of time before bed, and instead of watching TV like I usually would, I pulled out the book I've been reading since before Christmas. It's only 200 pages long! I ended up reading until almost 1 in the morning!

Oh yeah. We can fix this.

10 comments:

  1. Ha...Same. It's like I still love to read, but it's so hard for me to get into a book. I still read, but it's much more of a struggle. But TV...I think I already think of TV as mindless, so...plus, I can handwrite a story while watching TV on my computer (that's how I spent Friday and Saturday nights). I can't multitask when I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very true. But often I just watch TV while I'm doing nothing else. I can justify TV if I'm doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I don't watch much TV, I thought because we didn't have cable. We do have Netflix (Star Trek DVDs FTW!) but I don't use instant play stuff much unless I'm cleaning or crafting. My problem is the internet.

    WV: inose. Teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a 30 Rock junkie, too.

    I lost interest as a teen and just never really picked up the habit again. At the moment, my to-do list keeps me way too busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I read a single un-assigned novel while I was in college.

    And I didn't watch TV either.

    It might have something to do with the fact that I spent four hours a day on the track and/or in the weight room. Ah, the life of a student-athlete.

    And, now?

    I listen to audio books while I work out. And sometimes I watch movies while I ride the exercise bike. But I don't have much couch time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah... when it comes to that, we're very different people. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, I don't even have T.V. Well I do, but needs to be unplugged so I can use the comp. So I could say I have a addiction with the comp. ~_~ !! The only t.v show I watch is The Vampire Diaries!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Except now a days you don't really need a tv. What with hulu, YouTube, and network websites, your favorite shows are literally a click away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Free yourself!!!

    Can't wait to read your next review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, this is me too. There are a several shows I'm addicted to, so I have to watch them while they are in season. This didn't used to be so bad, because they would pretty much be spaced out over the year. Some were summer series, some fall, you get the idea. But because of schedule changes all 7 (!) of them are playing right now. 7! All of them! So that's automatically 7 hours of TV I have to every week, which doens't include all those "impusle" programs you sometimes get sucked into when surfing channels.

    All I can say is thank goodness for DVR.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails