Pulse-- Patrick Carman

Release Date: February 26th, 2013
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopia
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 384
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
The year is 2051, and the world is still recognizable. With the help of her mysterious classmate Dylan Gilmore, Faith Daniels discovers that she can move objects with her mind. This telekinetic ability is called a “pulse,” and Dylan has the talent, too.

In riveting action scenes, Faith demonstrates her ability to use her pulse against a group of telekinesis masters so powerful they will flatten their enemies by uprooting street lights, moving boulders, and changing the course of a hurtling hammer so that it becomes a deadly weapon. But even with great talent, the mind—and the heart—can be difficult to control. If Faith wants to join forces with Dylan and save the world, she’ll have to harness the power of both.
Blurb: Is this a movie, or a book? And no, that's not a good thing.

Review: Sorry to be posting so many "didn't love it" reviews lately, but... I didn't love this book. And if I had read that plot summary before I started reading, I probably would guessed that I wouldn't like this book before I even read it. Any book that feels the need to put "in riveting action scenes" in their summary... probably isn't for me.

It wasn't that it wasn't a good story, it had a lot of potential. But I felt like I was reading a movie screenplay with how bluntly descriptive it was. I never really knew what was happening in the world because the author left this so vague. I think that can work for a movie, because while the main characters are talking on the screen you can see the world around them and make your own assumptions. But in a book... all you have is what is written on the page, and it wasn't enough in this one.

I felt like this would translate really well into a movie, but left my brain feeling tired by how much I had to infer. Because of this abrupt and blunt way of describing both characters and actions, I never really felt like I connected with any of the characters or story. Because of this, I have no desire to go on and read any other books in this series.

Other Reviews:

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2013
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm this looks like a lot of things that are out there already. I'll probably end up skipping it. I'm not one to enjoy the books that feel TOO cinematic either.

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, we're sorry it didn't work for you, but thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Is it just us, or does that cover look a lot like the DIVERGENT covers??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails