**Transparent-- Natalie Whipple

Release Date: May 21st, 2013
Genre: Bio-Punk (click here for details)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 352
Rating:
Amazon Link*: Click here
Goodreads Page: Click here
Summary:
Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.

Blurb: The awesomeness that is this book cannot be contained!

Review: I was planning waiting until closer to the review date to review this, but two months isn't that far, right? And I just can't hold back my feelings about this book!

This book grabs you from the first page. Seriously. I wasn't even 10 pages in before I knew that I needed to buckle up. I felt like I had stepped into a mix of the X-Men and Oceans 11 and it. was. awesome!

First of all, it was clear that Natalie had thought about this book in every way possible. Every single piece of this world was extremely well developed. One of my favorite parts was probably how Fiona thought of herself and how her childhood and development would have been so different since she was invisible. So often in books like this the characters have some kind of super-power and nothing is different in their lives. Not so in this book, each character not only had a power, but a clear way in which that power had affected their lives.

I also loved that the idea of having super-powers wasn't a secret. In every other super-hero show I've seen/book I've read the people with abilities have to remain a secret. Not in this world, nearly everyone has a power and everyone knows about it.

I also kinda... sorta... maybe... fell head over heels with one of the characters. There was a rough spot in which Fiona talked about her lame math teacher, but then HELLO cute math-tutor! He was so great. Again, a conflicted character because of his abilities and life, but he had overcome them to become awesome.

I thought this book was very well self-contained. It certainly works as a stand-alone. But I do wish that there was more. I would have loved to see what this super-ability world was like on a larger scale. This small piece of the world was so interesting that certainly the whole world must be even cooler. I want more!!

Other Reviews:
  • I couldn't find any yet. Hopefully I'll be able to link to some soon!

All review content © Enna Isilee, Squeaky Books 2007-2013
*I am an amazon affiliate. If you purchase this book using my link, I will get a tiny fraction of the purchase, which goes toward contests.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds so good! I hadn't seen a summary or review for it yet, so seeing it all at once is exciting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YESSSS so glad you enjoyed it, because we did too! Your whole review? We're like one big ditto over here. ;D

    Can't wait for the whole YA world to fall in love with TRANSPARENT...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I haven't been this excited over a book in a long, long time. I want to read it today. I love her blog and this is sort of the book that I've always wanted to read, but I've never found before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I've definitely had it on my lists and so excited to hear your love for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a sequel coming out on January 2nd - it's called Blindsided. I loved this one too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I read each and every one.

Please be aware that any comments under an "anonymous" user are subject to deletion, as well as cruel or unnecessarily rude comments (because sometimes it's necessary to be rude.*wink*). Comments on posts older than 2 weeks are also moderated, and may take a few days to appear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails